World Learning

www.worldlearning.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for World Learning

Great place for a first job

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at World Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good camaraderie with junior staffers. Nice location in DC. Numerous professional networking opportunities with people from all corners of the globe.

Cons

long hours and low salaries for associates. no bonuses. They job really depends on which manager you draw as a boss. Many of them are good people who are just ill suited for the job. My first manager was perving on me during my first day of work and had to be transferred. My second manager, who lasted only a few months, was a super cool person, but totally unmotivated. My last manager was even worse.

16 Other Employee Reviews for World Learning (View Most Recent)

you are born a program officer you die a program officer!

Former Employee - Program Officer
    Former Employee - Program Officer

I worked at World Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

relaxed: truly, I do not find anything else that is a pro here. Oh, yes, one more thing, even though health insurance premiums are really high for the dinky salary you get, they give you $3000 on a card to pay for out-of-pocket expenses. thank you World Learning. The rest.... see below:

Cons

no employee development, low salaries, no advancement opportunities, clicks surround you, only friends to the management getting promoted for no reason at all, cinical attitude to employees, very high turn-over. You are going to rot in one place if you do not move ahead with your life and you will develop no skills at all, yes, NO SKILLS.

Give people a chance to move ahead. Do not feel threatened! Promote people for good work and show appreciation for their loyalty! My first reaction when I started working here - this is a great place for losers! You will feel adored if you do not have any wish to move ahead. You will be born a program officer and you die a program officer!

A great non-profit to work for.

I have been working at World Learning

Pros

The people are passionate and amazingly informed on foreign policy issues. They have great opportunities for students from all ranges of experience.

Cons

The non-profit world brings with it some mismanagement; especially those of basic funds. There could also be better communication between departments.

You should talk to the state department more about what outcomes they expect for grant money. Long-term projects should be highlighted.

There are newer employer reviews for World Learning