XLA

There are newer employer reviews for XLA

Not a quality employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at XLA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had no previous consulting experience, but ALON was willing to give me a chance.

The company does provide annual bonuses and has a stellar holiday party.

Cons

On-site management was of little help when it came to resolving issues (either internally or with the client). They were unwilling to have honest discussions with employees and even more unwilling to actually take action on their behalf.

I was handed leadership responsibilities for extended periods of time despite the fact that I was the lowest paid member of the team. When I requested an early evaluation and increased salary I was told to put my request in writing so that it could be sent to HQ. Months later I realized that the on-site PM had never actually submitted my request.

My opinion of the on-site mangagement was shared by the other employees I spoke with. There was no real vision for the company or leadership exhibited by the managers. They consistently showed a level of disrespect toward their co-workers that would not be accepted at most companies. Oddly enough, though, at ALON, these were the only people moving up the corporate ladder. They failed to take care of good employees and allowed sub-par employees to linger in positions as long as they didn't rock the boat.

You will never have quality employees stay more than a year or so if you don't first hire managers who are up to the task. Managing employees is just as important as managing your clients.

17 Other Employee Reviews for XLA (View Most Recent)

Kick you on your way out

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at XLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I will say without this company I would not be where I am and I know a few other employees that were junior level that used this company for a launch. They do have a great Christmas party as well. The company has some young energetic employees that can make it a fun place to work.

Cons

ALON does not pay you when you out perform your original title. No matter if you go from doing normal analyst work to management. It is so clear they refuse to pay for your work. I have never seen a company try to pay so little in my career in consulting. It is almost embarrassing how cheap they can be. There HQ support is also average to poor. This company grew so fast but did not hire any more HQ support. I know they have merged now with XL Associates so maybe this has improved. Also, when you leave the company some of their senior managers treat you like garbage. Don’t fall for the “we will get back to you tomorrow with a counter”. Tomorrow will come they will not even give you a courtesy “sorry can’t match” they totally ignore you. This has happened to about 4 people I know including myself that left the company. Most of their senior managers are untrustworthy. I fully understand managers can’t tell you everything but these guys have a total disregard for you as a person.

Quit and hope XL ALON can hire people better than you.

Would not recommend

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Washington, DC

I have been working at XLA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is not a highly demanding job. The pay and benefits are good. If you are an unmotivated individual with little aspirations, this is the place for you.

Cons

The lackadaisical atmosphere permeates through the organization resulting in an unchallenging work environment and lazy culture. I was placed on client site as a Technical Writer and discovered that they in fact hired me to act as a personal assistant for the client. There is a lack of direction from leadership. The company and its workforce is young and lack the experience to direct and lead properly. The contract I was hired for is now in jeopardy and there has been minimal action taken to save it. I feel very deceived by what was communicated in the interview about my role and opportunities for advancement.

Pay attention to what is happening on client site and determine a course of action when the contract is not performing well. Do not oversell yourself if you cannot deliver.

There are newer employer reviews for XLA