There are newer employer reviews for XLA

Experience may differ depending on one's position

Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at XLA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many good people
If negotiated right, salaries can be pretty high
Younger employees often get opportunities to prove themselves

Cons

Sometimes management doesn't think long-term and strategically when making decisions
People are often not rewarded for excellent performance
It is hard to move around and get promoted internally

Advice to Management

Think long-term
Think strategically when hiring
Reward for high quality performance

reviews filtered by

ALON... another word for anti-integrity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at XLA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of the employees that actually performed were extremely nice.

Cons

The program managers I reported to were deceiving. There was no employee support. Their only goal appeared to be to do whatever they could to make sure their employees were bringing in revenue. I was paired up with an employee that did not want me there. The environemt was hostile and the only people that either did not see it or refused to acknowledge it was ALON PMs and management. The customer was aware of it. Even to the extent that a lot of the models I created were either sabotaged if I did not file-protect them, or they were not actually supported by ALON PMs... even if the customer liked them and wanted to utilize them. My PM went as far as to tell me that if the task order I was on was not funded past a certain point, that I would have 3 positions waiting for me on another task order. He then went on vacation, and I was informed the next week that it would be my last week, and that there were no positions for me anywhere. This is definitely an organization with an extremely low level of integrity. They seem to have no real sense of fiduciary responsibility to the customer.

Advice to Management

Get some integrity... the service you are providing to the customer where I worked is over-priced compared to what you are delivering and what you pay your employees actually doing work at the client site. Concentrate more on nurturing the employees, and less attention to your profit margin. You appear to be portraying yourselves as a "champagne vendor" with "beer integrity".

Not a quality employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at XLA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had no previous consulting experience, but ALON was willing to give me a chance.

The company does provide annual bonuses and has a stellar holiday party.

Cons

On-site management was of little help when it came to resolving issues (either internally or with the client). They were unwilling to have honest discussions with employees and even more unwilling to actually take action on their behalf.

I was handed leadership responsibilities for extended periods of time despite the fact that I was the lowest paid member of the team. When I requested an early evaluation and increased salary I was told to put my request in writing so that it could be sent to HQ. Months later I realized that the on-site PM had never actually submitted my request.

My opinion of the on-site mangagement was shared by the other employees I spoke with. There was no real vision for the company or leadership exhibited by the managers. They consistently showed a level of disrespect toward their co-workers that would not be accepted at most companies. Oddly enough, though, at ALON, these were the only people moving up the corporate ladder. They failed to take care of good employees and allowed sub-par employees to linger in positions as long as they didn't rock the boat.

Advice to Management

You will never have quality employees stay more than a year or so if you don't first hire managers who are up to the task. Managing employees is just as important as managing your clients.

There are newer employer reviews for XLA