XO Communications

www.xo.com

Excellent place to learn and grow, hard to stay focused in chaotic environment

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGreat network. Great people that want to solve problems. Good technical and mid-level managers that want to help people learn and grow. In most markets, the hands on operations folks are extremely dedicated and smart.

If you want to work hard, learn, and create solutions, XO will support your efforts. On the other hand, there are traditional positions at XO that are very stable and some people with the right backgrounds can coast along for 15+ years. As with anything, what you get is commensurate with what you put in.

ConsFrequent re-organizations. Too many types of technologies, too many vendors, and projects. Insecurity about future plans from an ownership and high level management perspective. Layoffs are not that nice either... I have not seen XO doing very much hiring in the past 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementPraise the successful network implementations where day in and day out XO has made equipment function for it's customers. Be more careful about major implementations that are not working. Make bridges between the technical, sales/sales engineering, and activations groups.

Great team members and people but poor management and moral

Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at XO Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: - Flexible work hours - Telecommuting is encouraged and if your manager allows it you can work 2 days from home in a week - Great people… Cons: - Moral very low as every 1.5-2 years there is a massive layoff, so you're always in a limbo about job security - Lots of bureaucracy -… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Captains of Choas

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

I have been working at XO Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: First of all, I'd say that the people I work with are fantastic. My… Cons: All management above my immediate manager pretty much clueless. They've always done things one way and don't want to change. There are no processes, each… Advice to Senior Management: XO is constantly hiring Sales people and laying off support personnel. Soon you'll need to train the Salesmen to install equipment and turn up circuits,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on XO Communications.

Worked for XO Communications? Contribute to the Community!