There are newer employer reviews for XO Communications

Excellent place to learn and grow, hard to stay focused in chaotic environment

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Plano, TX
Former Employee - Network Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at XO Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great network. Great people that want to solve problems. Good technical and mid-level managers that want to help people learn and grow. In most markets, the hands on operations folks are extremely dedicated and smart.

If you want to work hard, learn, and create solutions, XO will support your efforts. On the other hand, there are traditional positions at XO that are very stable and some people with the right backgrounds can coast along for 15+ years. As with anything, what you get is commensurate with what you put in.

Cons

Frequent re-organizations. Too many types of technologies, too many vendors, and projects. Insecurity about future plans from an ownership and high level management perspective. Layoffs are not that nice either... I have not seen XO doing very much hiring in the past 2 years.

Advice to Management

Praise the successful network implementations where day in and day out XO has made equipment function for it's customers. Be more careful about major implementations that are not working. Make bridges between the technical, sales/sales engineering, and activations groups.

reviews filtered by

Great team members and people but poor management and moral

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Flexible work hours
    - Telecommuting is encouraged and if your manager allows it you can work 2 days from home in a week
    - Great people in my team and in general
    - You get to choose from a range of worthless crap (iron, toaster, etc) at your 5 and 10 yr anniversary!

Cons

- Moral very low as every 1.5-2 years there is a massive layoff, so you're always in a limbo about job security
    - Lots of bureaucracy
    - Depends on your division, but promotions are very few and far
    - Salary is OK and you really have to fight for a raise
    - Health insurance is a joke

Captains of Choas

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at XO Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First of all, I'd say that the people I work with are fantastic. My Manager is great too. We have another New CEO, maybe he can change things

Cons

All management above my immediate manager pretty much clueless. They've always done things one way and don't want to change. There are no processes, each job task you have to figure out how to do yourself because no one has done it before or has documented what to do. Everything is done by endless conference calls, emails and on spreadsheets, The tools needed to do your job are non-existent. If you need a tool to do something, you have to develop it yourself. Upper management keeps cutting back on workforce so you'll do the job of two people and everything has to be done yesterday, So you'll get very little "work" done. Very frustrating place to work

Advice to Management

XO is constantly hiring Sales people and laying off support personnel. Soon you'll need to train the Salesmen to install equipment and turn up circuits, because their won't be any techs or engineers left to do it. Quit destroying your foundation just for a few months of short term revenue growth. It will blow up in your face eventually

There are newer employer reviews for XO Communications