XO Group

There are newer employer reviews for XO Group

Lot's of Change, Energizing

Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY
Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and laid back work environment.
Great office space and optimal location for commuting from anywhere in the city.
I made lots of life long friends.
The frequent change of the organization opened up opportunities I wouldn't have got elsewhere.

Cons

Mostly a young employee base.
Super fast paced.
They should give employees a greater discount at the knot shop!

Keep up the good work. Get down in the tranches and listen to the little guys.

114 Other Employee Reviews for XO Group (View Most Recent)

stay away from the IT department here.

Current Employee - IT Software in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Software in New York, NY

I have been working at XO Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy commute just right besides Fulton st subway and WTC.
    Thursdays Happy Hour
    Game room

Cons

IT department is the worst department to work for in the NYC location.

1. working remotely is not an option any more, because they strictly enforce "pair-programming". you and your partner share the same screen all day long every day. so your manager really don't like you miss any day of the work or work from home.

2. no one has their own drawer. instead they provide lockers like the ones you use in high school but a lot smaller plus the desk space is just 3'x 2'. it is so small that only one monitor and one keyboard could fit, no personal stuff is allowed on the desk and your shoulder is right besides your neighbors.

3. On top of the horrible working environment, management keeps hiring inexperience technical leads that are both bully and unreasonable. making this an even worse place to stay, so people start leaving.

Last but not least, everyone in NYC doesn't have their own trash can. Pretty much all new comer will look for the trash can on the first day they start.. then find out there is only one small trash can share by 6 or more people.

please stop using HR and recruiting personal to leave fake good reviews for XO Group and the knot on this site. that's not ethical.

The Worst Place

Former Employee - Creative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I worked at XO Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some nice people work there. Thirsty Thursdays. Clean office. It's not a bad industry to list on your resume in today's world.

Cons

Too many major org changes too often. People are in consistent fear to lose their jobs because of these changes. Upper management keeps loving themselves by saying "we have open door policy" - well, if the open door policy means the upper management people don't have their own room and they sit on the same floor as you, they are right. But this doesn't mean they care about the employees. Also upper management doesn't manage the middle management well. My department lead was a fake, superficial, want-all-attention and want-all-achievement type person and I have no idea how the upper management can't see how dysfunctional department it was. My co-workers are simply miserable.

When XO Group lay off people, they try to hide the fact from their employees. Because some people often work from home, it's rather easy for the company to be so discreet. This shows you that the company's decision for layoffs are not convincing for the employees to agree with. I've seen some co-workers career got screwed over by the actions that upper management takes.

Their benefit sucks. Unlimited vacation policy is a lie, and their health care plan is absolutely useless.

Stop appreciating the arrogant and disrespectful people who think they are better than others. Value the real people who do the real work. Your wrong actions to manage people are making the morale very very low.

There are newer employer reviews for XO Group