XOJET

There are newer employer reviews for XOJET

Revenue Manager

Current Employee - Revenue Manager in Brisbane, CA
Current Employee - Revenue Manager in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at XOJET full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Full autonomy to succeed and be a part of growing the company

Cons

mixed messaging, and unclear goals

54 Other Employee Reviews for XOJET (View Most Recent)

Marginalized, then cast aside.

Former Employee - Reserve Captain
    Former Employee - Reserve Captain

I worked at XOJET full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PIC type training to start. 14 hour days with almost 4 legs of flying every day, so you can gain experience to move to the next opportunity. Some opportunity to network because crews from better companies are often in the same hotels and airports. You will stay very proficient at this job and be held to such an impossibly high standard to upgrade to captain, that any interview or check ride at a normal flying job will be an absolute breeze. Also there is a defined schedule: 15 days on and 13 off or 8 days on and 6 off, nearly unheard of in the 135 world.

Cons

Operations is a mess. For my first three rotations I was sent airline tickets that originated from Atlanta, when I lived on the West Coast. I have flown empty aircraft across the country per my trip manifest and was asked later by operations why. I have missed training dates that I was not aware of and was never sent travel arrangements. Of course any change that results from a disaster at operations usually requires pilots to airline to Newark from the west coast.

The schedule is absolutely brutal. My last rotation was only 36 hours long. I was on duty for 26 of those hours and I flew 8 legs, barely meeting the 10 hours of flying in 24 rule. I was so tired when I got home that I could only rest for two days. Then I realized that I had done this for 15 days in a row during a normal rotation.

The pilot group is an overall good group of people but there are some extremely bad apples. Most notably training captains with an A designation that work with newer pilots. I have never been treated so poorly by another group of people: yelled at for being unfamiliar with an item that the training captain was supposed to show me, forced to clean the aircraft and load bags every leg and the worst behavior of all, these training captains are supposed to evaluate pilots to help them progress but some with the A designation absolutely refuse.

The pilot progression system is absolutely miserable. There is no seniority to upgrading at XOJET and upgrading to captain is the only way for a pilot to receive an increase in pay. There is no pay scale and a pay freeze in effect since 2008. You need to move up 3 levels and each level requires 5 letters before you get the chance to upgrade. Remember many captains will not bother to write anything for you. After this ordeal you may be selected for a captains review board, or not. My review board was 10 hours long on a day off. Of course I had to wait over two years to get this opportunity while 24 less senior pilots were able to upgrade out of seniority before I had the chance (remember no seniority). By this time the "reserve captain" designation had come to pass and this simply means you are a captain but you receive copilots pay.

Constantly changing procedure. In my 3 years at XOJET I wore 3 different uniforms. I used paper charts, an EFB and finally an iPad. Long story short the wheel is reinvented at XOJET every 3 months or so. Pilots are expected to know the new procedure cold. After my 13 days off I always expected a huge change upon my return. Usually this change would require a week to figure out. By the time I had mastered a new procedure it had already changed.

Inconsistent training and brutal check rides. Even during simple observed line checks pilots are subjected to constant questioning. This has improved lately with the addition of newer check airmen. One company oral check took 3 days, required 3 check airman and was over 6 hours long completely burning up any available duty time during the busy holiday flying schedule. XOJET pilots have 4 check rides a year, more if you desire an upgrade. Our safety training on how to perform CPR or operate a life raft was conducted via power point presentation. In three years I never donned the smoke mask, never operated a life raft, never physically touched the first aid kit and put out a sponge that was lit on fire in a parking lot with a chemical extinguisher, which is not the type used in our aircraft.

Zero safety culture. Our own "red eye rules" and "red zone rules" are constantly disregarded by the safety team and every other entity at XOJET. We were assigned a red eye trip with a 2 hour re position leg for maintenance. This was against our safety policy. The captain just gave up and refused to call. I called operations, the duty officer, the safety officer and maintenance. Operations told me the trip was legal, the safety officer never called me back, the duty officer told me his hands were tied and that the safety officer told him to remind me we were reducing pilot staffing and maintenance told me the trip was important. After the trip we learned no maintenance was required, unnecessarily causing over 3 hours flying without revenue.

Pilots are required to hold an XOJET credit card that affects the pilots credit after 180 days of non payment. The company was constantly making hotel reservations with this card without my knowledge then they did not cancel the card. It is up to the pilot to clear up this mess during their free time. I cancelled the card, tired of clearing up the false hotel charges. The company illegally restarted the card without my permission. Then charged more hotels to the card without my knowledge. After 180 days the creditors started to call. Now I can not get a credit card or try and buy a house for years.

I guess treating the copilots as expendable is understandable, considering the ruthless company culture. My simple advice is look into the cost of training another group of pilots vs keeping the ones who are already familiar with your customers and company procedures.

Things Getting Worse

I have been working at XOJET full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Aviation related job in corporate Part 135 environment
    Great expierence to get under a belt of someone new to aviation
    Great Coworkers that care about each other
    Office locations are in a good area and buildings are maintained well

Cons

Upper Management doesn't care about employees but says they do
    Just went through a reduction of force as they called it when they laid off senior people
    Your boss may not know how to do your job but will tell you how you are messing up

Once you lost some key people you have caused morale to drop to all time low, Drop the drama and get back to basics of caring about your people instead of just caring about money

There are newer employer reviews for XOJET