There are newer employer reviews for XOMA

Don't go into operations (manufacturing, PD, analytics). R&D is better.

Former Employee - Process Development Associate II in Berkeley, CA
Former Employee - Process Development Associate II in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA

Pros

Somehow even though this company is on the verge of running out of money, management always finds a way to come up with financing through share dilution. If you're one of the lucky ones they don't layoff, you can bet XOMA will be around for a long time.

Cons

Management always plays politics. If you're not on the inside, do not expect to get a good merit increase or promotion. Senior management is untruthful about collaborative deals in terms of time frames and dollar amount. 2 mass layoffs in the history of the company. They will hire people just to have an extra pair of hands around, and not hire people on their passion or knowledge about their job responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Redo the entire HR process. Design a system that brings on people who are passionate about what they do to improve company moral and productivity. Reward people based on their behavior and work ethic and not the outcomes of specific projects. This may help people feel like politics aren't the basis for promotion. If you are truly trying to cut spending, stop employee 401K match and A's games.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Xoma: much more than its share price would suggest!

Current Employee - Programmer in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at XOMA

Pros

As a small/medium company, Xoma can't afford to compartmentalize its employees too much, so I get to work on a wide range of interesting project and take on fun challenges. I get a lot of latitude in choosing what to word on, and even more in determining how to implement it. I deeply respect my coworkers, who are overwhelmingly very smart. Finally, Xoma does a decent job promoting career development, paying for employee classes and training.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are lacking.

Advice to Management

I sometimes think that there's a disconnect between employees in Preclinical R&D and those in the main administration building -- very few from one group have any idea what the other group does, which inevitably leads to some amount of distrust.

2. fast paced and dynamic

I have been working at XOMA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits for the most part. HR seems interested in making people happy. Plenty of work to do.

Cons

not enough resources. slow to make change in order to compensate for not having enough resources. poor communication amongst lower management. management not trustworthy.

Advice to Management

pay more attention to what is going on in the lower ranks.