There are newer employer reviews for XOMA

Xoma: much more than its share price would suggest!

Current Employee - Programmer  in  Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - Programmer in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at XOMA

Pros

As a small/medium company, Xoma can't afford to compartmentalize its employees too much, so I get to work on a wide range of interesting project and take on fun challenges. I get a lot of latitude in choosing what to word on, and even more in determining how to implement it. I deeply respect my coworkers, who are overwhelmingly very smart. Finally, Xoma does a decent job promoting career development, paying for employee classes and training.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are lacking.

I sometimes think that there's a disconnect between employees in Preclinical R&D and those in the main administration building -- very few from one group have any idea what the other group does, which inevitably leads to some amount of distrust.

11 Other Employee Reviews for XOMA (View Most Recent)

Excellent colleagues, acceptable senior management

Former Employee - Senior Staff  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You work for the betterment of patience. You just cant beat the feeling that you make other people's life a lot better

Cons

The company is trying to cut cost by cutting benefit to employees. Upper echelon is immune to benefit cut. The infantry is the one who suffer the most. Sr. Management even hire a new person with the sole purpose to figure out the best way to cut benefit as much as possible.

None - they refuse to listen to anybody outside their echo chamber

Fast paced small biotech but opportunities for folks willing to put the effort in

Former Employee - Director  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Berkeley, CA

I worked at XOMA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Small company so you get to know most everyone and the atmosphere is very collegial. Lots of very bright and talented people to work with. Historically they have been good about promoting from within so if you are willing to put yourself out there and do the work there are opportunities to advance and even make career changes. Salaries and benefits good for a company of their size. Many employees are able to have flexibility in hours or even telecommute some days.

Cons

Resources are limited so there are not as many opportunities to go to conferences or get cutting edge software or equipment like there are at larger companies. Interdepartmental communications could be better considering the size of the organization.

There are newer employer reviews for XOMA

Worked for XOMA? Contribute to the Community!