There are newer employer reviews for XPAND (Virginia)

OK place if you are a go along to get along person and need a job

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at XPAND (Virginia) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The project I worked on was a good project that allowed me to spread my wings and grow which is the criteria for any job I take--that it is challenging. The people over all are very pleasant and laid back. Senior management was very generous with providing breakfasts, snacks, sometimes lunches, etc. The CEO even has parties at his mansion and invites the entire company to them.

Cons

They hire junior level people and people that someone internally knows to do a lot of the work and those people mess up constantly. They don't follow through and don't really care. Some of these people are what you would expect in such a company that uses nepotism as part of its hiring practice--they are rude, belligerent, and hostile--very unprofessional and impossible to work with. And the clique is kinda masked but once you learn the players you know that it drives the place on many levels. There is a bit of micromanagement around there. The very senior level management keeps a tight grip on things. And is involved in day to day operations. While they are pleasant as I said earlier don't let that fool you into thinking that there is flexibility. There isn't. You must be onsite at the specified hour, for example. If you do not dress exactly like the handbook says you are sent home. If you don't go to the company parties you are looked as disrespectful. Do not believe them in the interview if they say that they are flexible in the schedule--unless it has changed. The project manager I worked with was a super nice guy. However, he was not a good project manager. He was very disorganized, very clueless about a lot of things. And he was powerless. I think the idea was go along to get along as the senior management really called the shots behind the scenes. I know that this is not how the tech managers and proj managers wanted it but this is how they knew it was. There were a couple of people there who got their jobs because of who they knew as I said. but these people also over ruled the people who had the know how and performed the tech jobs and the project manager just deferred to these individuals. Project deadlines were never on time and things were constantly changing with non valid reason. One group would be told one thing. Another group told another. Another issue I felt was present when I was there was the lack of diversity. I don't mean it was all "white" or all "male". I mean it was all H1B visa folks or new immigrants that really caused issues with communication and team work.

Hire people you trust. Treat them as professionals in scheduling, working from home, etc. Empower your project managers to empower their teams. Get some diversity in there. Stamp out the nepotism.

7 Other Employee Reviews for XPAND (Virginia) (View Most Recent)

Ok

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at XPAND (Virginia)

Pros

Technology wise is very good

Cons

One reason of leaving is"No flexibility" and another main reason is "Management". Management does not treat all the employees equally.

Need to think about treating all the employees equally and hire managers who have management skills and are experienced.

OK

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at XPAND (Virginia)

Pros

Can learn a lot for career advancement. Colleagues are excellent to work with.

Cons

Work hrs are not at all flexible.

Please consider flexible work hrs for employees to continue in XPAND.

There are newer employer reviews for XPAND (Virginia)