XPAND (Virginia)

www.xpandcorp.com

OK place if you are a go along to get along person and need a job

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThe project I worked on was a good project that allowed me to spread my wings and grow which is the criteria for any job I take--that it is challenging. The people over all are very pleasant and laid back. Senior management was very generous with providing breakfasts, snacks, sometimes lunches, etc. The CEO even has parties at his mansion and invites the entire company to them.

ConsThey hire junior level people and people that someone internally knows to do a lot of the work and those people mess up constantly. They don't follow through and don't really care. Some of these people are what you would expect in such a company that uses nepotism as part of its hiring practice--they are rude, belligerent, and hostile--very unprofessional and impossible to work with. And the clique is kinda masked but once you learn the players you know that it drives the place on many levels. There is a bit of micromanagement around there. The very senior level management keeps a tight grip on things. And is involved in day to day operations. While they are pleasant as I said earlier don't let that fool you into thinking that there is flexibility. There isn't. You must be onsite at the specified hour, for example. If you do not dress exactly like the handbook says you are sent home. If you don't go to the company parties you are looked as disrespectful. Do not believe them in the interview if they say that they are flexible in the schedule--unless it has changed. The project manager I worked with was a super nice guy. However, he was not a good project manager. He was very disorganized, very clueless about a lot of things. And he was powerless. I think the idea was go along to get along as the senior management really called the shots behind the scenes. I know that this is not how the tech managers and proj managers wanted it but this is how they knew it was. There were a couple of people there who got their jobs because of who they knew as I said. but these people also over ruled the people who had the know how and performed the tech jobs and the project manager just deferred to these individuals. Project deadlines were never on time and things were constantly changing with non valid reason. One group would be told one thing. Another group told another. Another issue I felt was present when I was there was the lack of diversity. I don't mean it was all "white" or all "male". I mean it was all H1B visa folks or new immigrants that really caused issues with communication and team work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people you trust. Treat them as professionals in scheduling, working from home, etc. Empower your project managers to empower their teams. Get some diversity in there. Stamp out the nepotism.

Ok

(Former Employee) Reston, VA

I worked at XPAND (Virginia)

Pros: Technology wise is very good Cons: One reason of leaving is"No flexibility" and another main reason… Advice to Senior Management: Need to think about treating all the employees equally and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reston, VA

I worked at XPAND (Virginia)

Pros: Can learn a lot for career advancement. Colleagues are excellent… Cons: Work hrs are not at all flexible. Advice to Senior Management: Please consider flexible work hrs for employees to continue in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on XPAND (Virginia).

Worked for XPAND (Virginia)? Contribute to the Community!