XPRIZE

www.xprize.org
There are newer employer reviews for XPRIZE

Unfortunate management, no hope of change

I worked at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

Some of the employees are truly talented and wonderful people who want to make a difference in the world.

Cons

There are some truly appalling things that happen at this company: corruption, bad management behavior, and a thick, oppressive bureaucracy. I guess to sum it all up, I felt very disrespected as an employee here.

The turnover was incredible. I can't count how many employees came and went in the time that I was there, but it was rare to find someone that had been there longer than 2 years. Other than the management, of course.

My perception of X PRIZE prior to working there was extremely positive and I was very excited to join the team. I think the worst part for me was the immense disappointment I felt as I discovered the reality of the organization. The joke around the office was, "Making the possible, impossible." Sadly, it really felt that way most of the time.

Considering that management doesn't exhibit much respect for the employees' opinions, I would suggest that the board takes a more active role in the organization, in an attempt to rein in management misbehavior (and replace the managers, if necessary).

21 Other Employee Reviews for XPRIZE (View Most Recent)

Cult of personalities hampers smart, dedicated personnel

Current Employee - Director in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

This organization is full of bright, professional, hard-working people who are genuinely excited about their work, their mission, and the difference that XPRIZE can make. The subject matter we work with is varied and interesting, so there are many things to learn while working here. Some of the current competitions truly are inspiring in their far-reaching goal to benefit humanity.

Cons

THE BAD: Many of the bright, hard-working souls here are shackled by cumbersome, complex, bureaucratic processes that limit their efforts to move forward with truly meaningful initiatives. Or they’re forced to go on mercenary wild goose chases with half-baked ideas that fall short of XPRIZE’s lofty mission but guarantee funding by certain sponsors, whether or not it’s a natural fit. The organization generates some fascinating concepts and competitions, but a slow, stubborn Marketing Department, for example, impairs the vast potential of the projects they oversee.

THE REALLY BAD: Leadership. It is an iron throne of personality, formed around brilliant, charismatic, but managerially crippled leaders and their lieutenants. Collectively, they’re prone to knee-jerk decisions and combative office relations that destroy rather than build a sense of teamwork and encouragement to continue the long work hours. Ruling by intimidation, fear, and the occasional tantrum creates an environment that rewards criticism of others to shield ones’ self from harsh reprimands.

Hire inspired, smart people (doing a decent job there), and then get out of their way (extremely poor job there). No matter how good the personnel is, bad management apples can ruin the sense of a collegial environment. The underlying culture of micromanagement, distrust, and intimidation comes from the top. Until that changes radically, this organization will continue to disappoint those seeking a fulfilling, professional workplace, and XPRIZE may sadly continue to struggle with its public identity as a result.

Great in theory. Poorly Executed.

I worked at XPRIZE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Creating an environment which is pleasant for everyone is difficult in fact it is almost impossible. In hopes of achieving their goal of becoming an "award-winning place to work", X Prize created a new contemporary office space which is appealing to visitors. The ideas that come from the development team are astounding in theory with a network of visionaries and leaders that would rival any Fortune 500 company. The operations team takes a concept and creates legal, ethical and inspired competitions meant to change the world. These are not easy tasks nor are they commonplace. It takes a remarkable group of people to create and operate these prizes.

Cons

Unfortunately, the cons far outweigh the pros. Management is so focused on nurturing their own egos and covering their own tracks that they don't focus on their constant internal discrepancies over everything from the core values to their management philosophies (or lack thereof), annual objectives or organizational missions. There is great autonomy when working at X Prize because management doesn't understand how to manage without micromanaging. The staff is continuously confused about the mission of the organization, there is no camaraderie because everyone is pointing the finger at everyone else to avoid the wrath of management and the amount of money spent on new offices should have been spent elsewhere because apparently nobody bothers to show up to work. There are a good number of excellent people who work at the organization but they won't stay for long once they realize there is in fact no change occurring in a place whose mantra is to revolutionize the world. Management is borderline tyrannical. There have been employees who have fallen out of favor who have suddenly and without explanation disappeared from the organization without a trace never to be heard from again. It puts employees on edge and creates a stressful environment.

Look at the culture you are creating in an open-minded and honest fashion and pay attention to what your employees are telling you. Listen don't judge. Question don't defend. Create a more open line of communication with your staff. Allow your staff to do their jobs without creating fear.

There are newer employer reviews for XPRIZE