There are newer employer reviews for XPRIZE

Proud To Work at XPRIZE

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. This job has provided great work-life balance.
2. Benefits and compensation packages that rival for-profit companies.
3. Beautiful work space.
4. Doing work that matters.
5. Plenty of opportunities to get involved.

Cons

Negative personalities from disgruntled employees who constantly complain. If they focused less on problems, they could actually be part of the solution. Maybe they are coming from a place of passion, of really wanting this to be the best possible place, but that is not the way to do it. I've worked many places, and they really have no idea how good we have it here.

Some people in management roles are the ones who complain about XPRIZE. That trickles down to staff. So to upper management, I would seriously take a look at who is doing that.

I know most of the employees are working really, really hard, and the majority of us LOVE OUR JOBS! Unfortunately, I think the negative people are louder.

18 Other Employee Reviews for XPRIZE (View Most Recent)

Unfortunate management, no hope of change

I worked at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

Some of the employees are truly talented and wonderful people who want to make a difference in the world.

Cons

There are some truly appalling things that happen at this company: corruption, bad management behavior, and a thick, oppressive bureaucracy. I guess to sum it all up, I felt very disrespected as an employee here.

The turnover was incredible. I can't count how many employees came and went in the time that I was there, but it was rare to find someone that had been there longer than 2 years. Other than the management, of course.

My perception of X PRIZE prior to working there was extremely positive and I was very excited to join the team. I think the worst part for me was the immense disappointment I felt as I discovered the reality of the organization. The joke around the office was, "Making the possible, impossible." Sadly, it really felt that way most of the time.

Considering that management doesn't exhibit much respect for the employees' opinions, I would suggest that the board takes a more active role in the organization, in an attempt to rein in management misbehavior (and replace the managers, if necessary).

Cult of personalities hampers smart, dedicated personnel

Current Employee - Director  in  Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Culver City, CA

I have been working at XPRIZE full-time

Pros

This organization is full of bright, professional, hard-working people who are genuinely excited about their work, their mission, and the difference that XPRIZE can make. The subject matter we work with is varied and interesting, so there are many things to learn while working here. Some of the current competitions truly are inspiring in their far-reaching goal to benefit humanity.

Cons

THE BAD: Many of the bright, hard-working souls here are shackled by cumbersome, complex, bureaucratic processes that limit their efforts to move forward with truly meaningful initiatives. Or they’re forced to go on mercenary wild goose chases with half-baked ideas that fall short of XPRIZE’s lofty mission but guarantee funding by certain sponsors, whether or not it’s a natural fit. The organization generates some fascinating concepts and competitions, but a slow, stubborn Marketing Department, for example, impairs the vast potential of the projects they oversee.

THE REALLY BAD: Leadership. It is an iron throne of personality, formed around brilliant, charismatic, but managerially crippled leaders and their lieutenants. Collectively, they’re prone to knee-jerk decisions and combative office relations that destroy rather than build a sense of teamwork and encouragement to continue the long work hours. Ruling by intimidation, fear, and the occasional tantrum creates an environment that rewards criticism of others to shield ones’ self from harsh reprimands.

Hire inspired, smart people (doing a decent job there), and then get out of their way (extremely poor job there). No matter how good the personnel is, bad management apples can ruin the sense of a collegial environment. The underlying culture of micromanagement, distrust, and intimidation comes from the top. Until that changes radically, this organization will continue to disappoint those seeking a fulfilling, professional workplace, and XPRIZE may sadly continue to struggle with its public identity as a result.

There are newer employer reviews for XPRIZE

Worked for XPRIZE? Contribute to the Community!