Beautiful Place, Awesome employees, Terrible Company

Current Contractor - Guest Service Agent in Yellowstone National Park, WY
Current Contractor - Guest Service Agent in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I have been working at Xanterra as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pro's are good. You will work in a beautiful place with some of the most interesting coworkers from all over the world. Your housing and food are taken care of and you still make a paycheck.

Cons

The pay is low, you handle MASS amounts of guests, far more than any other resort I have worked for. The hours can be long, especially if you work in the Kitchen or Dining rooms. Lots of employees will be fired for unknown reasons and you WILL pick up the slack. This season (Summer 2012) we had a Ranger present nearly every night at the dorms, doing searches and arresting employees. Of course some were warranted, but still it seemed excessive. With the exception of the Front Desk Management, which I found to be very pleasant and effective, the management in the Canyon area were quite terrible. Lots of overworked and underpaid folks being treated like slaves especially towards the end of the season.

Advice to Management

Look past the small stuff so that we can keep the employees we have and so that we don't get overworked.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good place to gain experience

Former Employee - Director in Furnace Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Furnace Creek, CA

I worked at Xanterra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, cheap housing, opportunities for advancement, friendly and well traveled co-workers, beautiful locations

Cons

There are properties run by Xanterra all over the country, corporate Xanterra seems either unaware or unconcerned with whats going on at their properties. IE If you have a terrible GM (which I did) he can run a place into the ground. With the properties remote locations there seems to be highly unqualified and unmotivated people running departments.

Advice to Management

Find out whats really going on at your properties (especially Furnace Creek)

2. Left me wanting

Former Employee - Relief Housekeeping Manager in Canyon Village, WY
    Former Employee - Relief Housekeeping Manager in Canyon Village, WY

I worked at Xanterra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of work for every type of employee. Easy training, good treatment, great way to meet people from all over the world

Cons

Lackluster management team. I became a relief manager very quickly because my actual manager was too busy with his own life. Asked for his job, to no avail

Advice to Management

Don't run off the people doing the most work.