There are newer employer reviews for Xanterra

Server in Yellowstone National Park

Former Contractor - Server in Yellowstone National Park, WY
Former Contractor - Server in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Xanterra as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Live and work in the park! I got the chance to spend the entire season in Yellowstone. I met so many awesome people from around the world, while making REALLY good money.

Cons

As a server we did 48-50 hour work weeks. Many times you work until 11-12 at night and are expected to work breakfast at 6 AM. Lots of people got fired for things done outside of work. I.E. Underage drinking, drugs, public intox and so on. How you behave yourself outside of work does matter a lot here. With so many people being fired, and no one new being hired, the work loads and shifts continued to get heavier. Dorm living isn't terrible. Employee dining room wasn't the best.

Encourage more teamwork! There were no negative (or positive) reinforcements for teamwork, so many people only worked the 'bare minimum', which is really frustrating in a FOH position.

reviews filtered by

Terrible.

I worked at Xanterra full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

Have to pay for meals you do not eat, management is rude.

For the employees not for yourself.

Beautiful Place, Awesome employees, Terrible Company

Current Contractor - Guest Service Agent in Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Current Contractor - Guest Service Agent in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I have been working at Xanterra as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The pro's are good. You will work in a beautiful place with some of the most interesting coworkers from all over the world. Your housing and food are taken care of and you still make a paycheck.

Cons

The pay is low, you handle MASS amounts of guests, far more than any other resort I have worked for. The hours can be long, especially if you work in the Kitchen or Dining rooms. Lots of employees will be fired for unknown reasons and you WILL pick up the slack. This season (Summer 2012) we had a Ranger present nearly every night at the dorms, doing searches and arresting employees. Of course some were warranted, but still it seemed excessive. With the exception of the Front Desk Management, which I found to be very pleasant and effective, the management in the Canyon area were quite terrible. Lots of overworked and underpaid folks being treated like slaves especially towards the end of the season.

Look past the small stuff so that we can keep the employees we have and so that we don't get overworked.

There are newer employer reviews for Xanterra