There are newer employer reviews for Xantrion

Pretty nice place to work

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart, friendly, hardworking people to work with. People get together outside of work because they like each other. Company is growing. Small firm, you are able to have an impact. Company actually stops serving customers who treat consultants poorly! Management very straightforward and accessible, things get better as a result of employee input.

Cons

There is still a lot of the day to day to do, its not all sexy projects. But then it never is anyplace.

Could use some more people.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Xantrion (View Most Recent)

Excellent place to work!!

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have to preface this by stating that Xantrion's business is Managed Service. Xantrion is a leader in this category and it is very profitable without having to resort to cut-throat tactics, covert product mark-ups on hardware sales or any other sort of shady money making tactics. Our customers love us because we seriously deliver excellent IT support.

-Top Tier Team: I've been a consultant or full-time employee of IT firms for many years and worked with quite a spread of varied and different IT teams. Xantrion's is hands down The Best (yes capital B). All employees are passionate and distinctly "go-getters". Due to the strict interview policies we only get the Best, Brightest & Most Highly driven people (caveats see below). There's no Team I've worked in my (albeit short ) career of 10 years in Silicon Valley that can compare in technical competency and motivation. EVERYONE is willing to help. If you've worked with a IT team where it's carried by a few 'brilliant' guys and the rest is dead weight (or are trying to be political masterminds) you'll understand and appreciate this environment. Everyone consistently 'hit's above their weight' and there's no dead weight here. If you like being amongst peers that are constantly 'pushing' then you'll enjoy it here. If you're interested in having a 'cookie-cutter' job, look elsewhere.

-Open/Direct Communication: Management consistently promotes direct communication between all Tiers of engineers and management itself, no sense of elitism from consulting engineers (T3's & 4's) and sys admin staff (T1's & 2's). We work/party/play as a Team and that speaks volumes about the integrity of the company as whole unit.

-Attitude: Only positive attitude here. People with negative attitudes or who are 'mopey' either don't get hired or are easily identifiable (see above; working closely together as a Team) and get counseled (possibly ending in termination). That being said the retention rate here is astronomical. Something close to 95% retention rate, year-on-year. No one leaves because it's a great environment (caveat see below; Pay). There's a saying about hiring that we only hire people that "We want to work with and respect & that you want to have a beer with after work". <--- This is 100% true.

-Career Opportunities: Great for Entry-Mid Level. If you're stuck in a entry/mid level job that just isn't cutting it for you due to lack of growth/exposure/politics, then you'd love this place. Sky is the limit, just don't break anything. If you do, you won't be reprimanded that badly (you'll just feel bad for letting the Team down).

-Management makes an effort: Despite having to deal with the realities of making a business profitable the management team can be seen visibly making an effort to constantly have an eye out on how to give staff a better work/life balance. Reality is that there is work to be done so that the company (and you as an employee) can make money, it's common to have IT firms just 'burn and churn' their technicians and engineers (god knows I've played that game). But Xantrion management actually cares about you as a person. And that really helps. The end game solution isn't in place yet for a good balance(as seen in other comments), but it's very heartening that management is keeping it's eye on this (as well as the bottom line). Once again that thing about caring.

-Stability/Job Security: Not really my thing (has never factored in for me before). But as I've grown older I suppose this is something I do care about. Xantrion is very stable. Our clients pay us and consistently refer us more work that we can afford to take on, money's there for us to take, but i suppose it's not our model to grow at an exponential pace (pro's and con's about this).

Work/Life Balance: Xantrion has a system which is helps facilitate work life balance and that is the "ticketing system". If you've 'clocked' a large amount of work you'll hear from management urging you to take some "time off". Working remotely helps you alleviate some of the WLB stress as well and overall as I've stated before "atleast the management cares", but nothing is perfect (see below).

-Educational Stipends: At least are available.

Cons

Work/Life Balance: I've never had a job in IT where we 'clocked-in & clocked-out'. I don't understand what it is to really have a good schedule. Xantrion is truly the best place I've worked at that addresses this in many ways so that's why it's both a Pro & Con. But i still work nights and weekends. I think it's just the nature of the work. They don't pave freeways in the middle of rush our right?

Interview is tough!: I don't know how I made it through. I had a great time in the interview process. Everyone I've introduced to Xantrion so far didn't (and didn't get hired). I think there is an a over adherence to this some strict policies. That being said, I work with a great Team. I guess it counts for something right?

Competitive pay: Not really to be found here. If you're looking for enormous salaries, look elsewhere. Xantrion is not paying Silicon Valley standards of pay (go to Silicon Valley for that). I've done that, and got paid. But at the cost of stress and an attitude of (hit home runs or get fired). There's an obvious component of Profit and Loss here as to the reason why salaries are not yet(and won't be) un-realistically stratospheric, but the future for our paychecks is looking better, management and the owners have heard about this being a factor in potential employee's interest to work at Xantrion. As well as current employees happiness, and willingness to stay. We do get paid, just not on a comedic scale.

Ticket based work: You'd better get used to 'detailing your time', as Xantrion is a Managed Service Provider most everything you will do here is 'ticket-based' work to be charged back to the client. From a project to setup SANS/Firewalls to assisting a user with troubleshooting email issues, everything is tracked (which is good and bad). This isn't wholly a gripe as there are some obvious benefits to this:
    1. It allows management to be objective about productivity, of employees. No favoritism when looking at numbers as backing.
    2. Shows good data to 'measure' efficiency of each employee so as to better 'benchmark' all employees. This directly affects your work/life balance. If you've done a ton of work, you will get time off. More flexibility and trust with your work. Since everything is tracked there
    3. Keep's you accountable. "Someone has to do the work, and own it right?"
    (But yeah, it's kind of annoying if your type of personality doesn't like being fully organized work flows and is more of a 'free-formed', idea sort of person)

Educational Stipends: Although available, inadequate for true growth. Doubt any company can really afford to pay engineers to go for $5k a pop classes except Fortune 500 companies.

This is hard (that's why i'm not management):
    -Please don't let us lose our 'tight-knit' feel, this would be devastating and the company is growing so much that this can easily happen.
    -We are excellent technician's and engineer's, most if not all of us come from a background where we were 'achievers'. It's hard to differentiate yourself at Xantrion. Possibly unclear on the path to trod (if there is one) so that we can have that 'achievement' feeling.
    Simply, how does one show to management that he/she is ahead of the pack? (I don't think the answer is just work harder)

Amazing Company To Work For!!!!

Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Xantrion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to grow within the company. Xantrion keeps up with the latest technology so there is always room to grow and improve. Coworkers genuinely care for each other and work to help everyone succeed.

Cons

There aren't many downsides to working at Xantrion. Your work keeps you busy, but that's about it. Working within Xantrion keeps you busy, yet motivated to succeed.

There are newer employer reviews for Xantrion