Extremely Hard Job for Extremely low pay

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Roseville, MN
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

I was excited and proud to have been hired by a company I thought was good to it's employees.
The location was easy to get to and parking was not a problem

Cons

I was hired as a "Temporary Associate" which meant I had no benefits and told that after three months I would be able to "progress" to a benefited Associate, but after a year I never scored high enough to qualify for progression.
There is a 7 week training and it is not enough time to train you about all the possible aspects of the utility industry.
People can be very rude and downright nasty about outages and paying their bills.
Very stressful job and burnout is very common.
I consistently received the highest customer ratings but it did not affect nor influence my opportunity to progress.

Progressing from a temporary Customer Service Agent to a benefited position should be guaranteed after 6 months. There is a high turn over because the starting pay is too low and there are no benefits.

Other Reviews for Xcel Energy

good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

prestige with job title, money and retirement programs

Cons

high tempo and high stress work environment

Temp and stay a temp or leave

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Roseville, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy

Pros

Most jobs outside of the call center pay well with Xcel and they have a very high retention rate it seems.

Cons

The call center is a revolving door job and the management seems to be OK with that. They pay the new employees 10.00/hr and hire on as a temp so no benefits. They told me that if I reached all my goals after 6 months of employment that I could take a test and receive benefits and become full time. I blew all of my goals away and was told that benefits and full time was on hold indefinitely. The quarter before Xcel had revenue of just over 8 billions dollars. I can't imagine that their lowest paid employees cannot get an extra dollar an hour and some benefits.

Set realistic expectations regarding promotions and full time work.

There are newer employer reviews for Xcel Energy.

Worked for Xcel Energy? Contribute to the Community!