Xcel Energy

www.xcelenergy.com

Interesting culture,.... Not impressed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsStability, benefits, pay is comparable to market rates, great office location, break room goodies are plentiful, on site exercise facility and on site cafeteria. It's like a government job. You just have one job to do,.... which is outlined in your position title. You, rarely, do work outside of that title. You really don't have to go out of your way to look like a top performer. Just work on projects that have exposure and take all the credit for the successes.

ConsThe culture is weird to say the least. People are nice but in a cautious way, almost fake and forced. Also some of the younger folk who have never worked outside of Xcel Energy need to learn how to communicate better and learn more about professionalism.

If you can "build relationships" and wear really nice, expensive clothes and have a pretentious attitude... you can make a name for yourself, quickly. If you can get past that and the fact that they are not early adopters of anything innovative,.... it's the place to be. It's like working a government job but with a few perks of being a large corporation. Also some parts of the company are still ol' boys club.

Oh and employees that say this company location (1800 Larimer) is diverse are highly mistaken. It's like everyone that works here long enough lives in a Xcel Energy bubble which is definitely not realistic by any means. I also think that most tenured employees act entitled. It's weird to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring contractors. Either hire full time employees or few consultants. Hiring contractors creates a passive yet hostile environment. Very adversarial under the surface.

I've worked in companies with contractors and without,.... I've found that the culture at companies without contractors is very solid and like a family. I can feel the competitive, back stabbing, work hoarding, throwing people under the bus mentality going on here. People are concentrating on outdoing everyone else than focusing on the work. Outdoing everyone can be: sabotaging contractors, not utilizing contractors to their full potential because employees may feel threatened.

Solid employer with a good history

Supervisor (Current Employee) Monticello, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Stable business, good salaries, especially compared to others in the… Cons: Nuclear can be challenging if you are not used to it. Company social… Advice to Senior Management: None – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Regulated Utility

Director of Engineering (Former Employee) Denver, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy

Pros: Significant time off to balance work and home Cons: Bureaucratic tangle is impossible to avoid More

There are newer reviews on Xcel Energy.

Worked for Xcel Energy? Contribute to the Community!