There are newer employer reviews for Xcel Energy

Worked power plts PSCo, NCE, and Xcel 25 yrs non-union / supervision, glad to be retired, many changes, much negativity.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Pueblo, CO
Former Employee - Supervisor in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, fair job security, advancement possible, diversity, excellent safety record (in power plants) longevity, competent tech trades. Good people work here.

Cons

Loss of Medical benefits @ retirement for non-union, still "Good ole boy " mentality in power plant management (Station director, Ops & Mtce mgr's) Power plant mgmnt should be degreed engineers or business with tech background. Disconnect between Plant management's treatment of Union vs. non-union / 1st line supervision. Need more Team building.

Care in selecting, training, promoting into power plant management. Engineering / business with tech background preferred. People skills are OK but not as important as tech decision making ability ie. $$$ decisions on unit reliability & readiness, repair. The company has plenty of opportunities elsewhere for non-degreed managers, should not be in state-of-the-art power plants. Improve retirement medical.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company so far

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

Lots of ways to move within the company, secure because people need energy, my job is numbers based so if your numbers are good then you move up. Works around my schedule. They offer many benefits such as tuition assistance, decent amount of vacation time, on-site gym.

Cons

High deductible health insurance but thats because I am used to low insurance elsewhere, so thats the only thing I have to compare it to.

Keep it up everything so far is pretty decent

2. It is a continual learning experience.

Current Employee - Plant Operator in Ashland, WI
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in Ashland, WI

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

Benifits and wages are good for a small town.

Cons

There is shift work involved.

Manage your employees. Try to focus on the strong people and reward them for their contributions. To much time and energy can be spent on people that are not taking part in the team.

There are newer employer reviews for Xcel Energy