Xcel Energy

www.xcelenergy.com
  www.xcelenergy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Xcel Energy

Worked power plts PSCo, NCE, and Xcel 25 yrs non-union / supervision, glad to be retired, many changes, much negativity.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Pueblo, CO
Former Employee - Supervisor in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Xcel Energy

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, fair job security, advancement possible, diversity, excellent safety record (in power plants) longevity, competent tech trades. Good people work here.

Cons

Loss of Medical benefits @ retirement for non-union, still "Good ole boy " mentality in power plant management (Station director, Ops & Mtce mgr's) Power plant mgmnt should be degreed engineers or business with tech background. Disconnect between Plant management's treatment of Union vs. non-union / 1st line supervision. Need more Team building.

Care in selecting, training, promoting into power plant management. Engineering / business with tech background preferred. People skills are OK but not as important as tech decision making ability ie. $$$ decisions on unit reliability & readiness, repair. The company has plenty of opportunities elsewhere for non-degreed managers, should not be in state-of-the-art power plants. Improve retirement medical.

130 Other Employee Reviews for Xcel Energy (View Most Recent)

Old school company trying to move forward.

Current Employee - Quality Academy Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Quality Academy Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Xcel Energy

Pros

People who want to make a difference.

Cons

The company in my opinion is very slow to change and slow to change office environment.

More mentoring for improved employee satisfaction.

Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Xcel Energy

Pros

I was paid a nice salary, received good bonuses and had excellent benefits. I enjoyed working at this company because they treated me very well and the managers were very approachable. I think they are very proactive in developing new technologies within their infrastructure that will be needed in the future.

Cons

I had to work at the downtown Minneapolis office which added time to my commute. Plus, you have to pay for your own parking which was minumim of $6 a day. There are a lot of contract employees at this company and I feel they resent the 1st class treatment the Xcel employees receive.

Keep up the good work!