There are newer employer reviews for Xerox

Rewarding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Xerox

Pros

Relaxed, Practical environment to work in

Cons

Slow paced, recent competitive struggle

reviews filtered by

It was a fun place to work when I started 28+ years ago but the joy is fading fast.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Engineer

I have been working at Xerox

Pros

As a customer service engineer, you are seldom in the same place all day. Constantly changing work situations, new challenges, keep the day interesting. Unfortunately, with the downsizing we have undergone lately, the days can be long and the number of miles traveled can be excessive. I have already driven over 70K in my 2010 company van.

Cons

You must learn to live on the salary that is the minimal that Xerox will pay. Empty promises about "bonus" programs that have the possibility to bring in income increases are never realized. Many tasks are directed to be done on a timeline created by managers who have no idea of the daily challenges placed on the workforce. Constant micromanaging by clueless front line managers create an atmosphere of mistrust and ever-decreasing morale.

Advice to Management

Wake up and listen to the employees who yell "the king has no clothes!" Practice the ideas that are spouted by upper management and LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN to the employees that deal with our customers on a daily basis. Our customers are our reason for existance...without them we have no reason for exist. The great ship Xerox is taking on water.....stop rearranging the deck furniture!

Even through 2 decades of ups and downs it's been terrific, but the arrogance at the top has become unbearable.

I have been working at Xerox

Pros

The people, period -- the quality of Xerox people is the best; they care about our clients and they care about one another. Also, the level of intelligence and innovation is absolutely amazing. The company is loaded with ideas and people who are always out in front of the industry.

Cons

The new regime and the acquisition of ACS have totally changed the culture for the worse. The changes the company has been making for the past couple of years are not necessarily "bad" and, in fact, most employees would agree/understand based on our industry and the maturity of paper documents, etc. It's not the what, it's the how. The company has always treated employees with dignity and respect especially during the tougher times or when difficult decisions about people were being made, but no longer. The long-standing social contract is gone - it was never "employment for life" or anything along those lines, but it was always one of respect, not anymore. Sad really, as these decisions are being made by a few who are sitting on boat loads of stock and other compensation when the rest of the company has had salary and other compensation freezes for a number of years. There are many actions coming that will affect a number of employees over the next few weeks and I predict that many others, myself included, will opt out of the company voluntarily over the next year.

Advice to Management

The history of the company shows a pattern in leadership from Joe Wilson to Ursula Burns. Every time a CEO change has taken place the pendulum swings wildly from charismatic and engaged leaders (Wilson, Kearns & Mulcahy) to technocrats who won't engage the company or clients (McCullough, Allaire & Burns). Burns has proved she can make an unpopular decision, but the CEO's who lead their companies through critical change are the ones who do it while they bring their people with them. That's what she and her senior team don't seem to care about and I've been told that this is the case. My sense in watching how change has been implemented tells me that this is an accurate assessment so here's the advice -- Burns needs to be replaced as soon as possible with a leader that can learn from Wilson and others on how to both make the tough decisions and lead people through the woods so that when you come out on the other side people are still right behind you instead of running for whatever exit they can find.

There are newer employer reviews for Xerox