There are newer employer reviews for Xerox

Great place for gaining software engineering experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Wilsonville, OR
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Wilsonville, OR

I worked at Xerox full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working in the Technology group you have a chance to work on really cool projects and learn from the best people in the industry. Laid back and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Salary is kind of low and almost no annual bonuses. No free perks. Pretty expensive health coverage. Feels like the company is in survival mode.

Advice to Management

In the Technology division they're on the right track, but a radical change in direction at the executive level is more than necessary, it's a must!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Server Engineer

I have been working at Xerox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home. Brought back 401K matching just recently.

Cons

All my team members were from either Mexico or India to support a US client. US employees slowly being squeezed out. I couldn't understand anything that was being said on conference call meetings. Also I was just a number to management. Company doesn't care about employees. No raise for past 5 years but yet company is performing fine. Also, was promised technical training and only got "white papers" to read; no official certification training.

Advice to Management

Take a pay cut and give the money to do those who do the work!

2. Not a bad company on the whole, but stuck in a go nowhere contract

Current Employee - Computer Operator
    Current Employee - Computer Operator

I have been working at Xerox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has decent benefits (Xerox ITO services side) and I've not had run in's with upper management per se. Job is easy enough and for my area and my position the pay is very good. I generally work with good people, though there are exceptions. Enjoy the pay from the overtime of 12 hour shifts and the 10% shift differential for graveyards.

Cons

However I'm part of a govt services contract and have been thrown under the bus by my direct manager when I tried to transfer to another department to grow my career and put my certifications to use, I was denied the opportunity (as have others). I was told I needed to stay in my current department for future roles that were planned for me. Since then things have not gotten any better and there has been no growth of change in job roles with more excuses and empty promises that my current job would improve. This has been going on for a year and a half. I don't necessarily have a problem with the company, but I can't recommend working on my contract specifically if you are looking for long term job growth. It is becoming increasingly obvious that my manager is demonstrating a high level of incompetency as a manager since he is not leading his team at all, he is simply barking orders without direction or communication in any form then making threats in order to make sure his team meets someone's arbitrary deadlines. In my instance my manager is a large part of my job growth problem, however he's not the only piece of the equation. In the long run working on this contract in a sub-prime job market for tech jobs isolates you to some degree from other opportunities you might have if you worked at a corporate office in a prime market. The contract is also relatively static as the amount paid to Xerox to work it for it's length has been agreed upon so there's not any opportunities to improve the profit from the customer, hence the whole thing is on a fixed budget which limits what budget is available for labor, thereby limiting any new roles created. Keep in mind some of this stems from when my facility was run by another company, then the contract changed to Xerox and some of the problems/people followed. As for family balance, it's a 24x7 coverage contract, there is no balance especially for the graveyard shift on 12hr shifts. You can take days off easy enough, but the whole time off system is designed for 8hr workers (meaning you take less days off to get a week vacation, but it takes longer to build up those days) and resets for everyone at the first of the year. Therefore everyone fights for time off during the holidays so they don't loose their vacation time and on a 24x7 contract not everyone can leave at the same time. Why time off doesn't reset on hire anniversary is beyond me, and why they don't allow some level of carry over or have a buy-back to prevent everyone from taking off at once is another puzzle. The only carry over is sick time.

Advice to Management

Have better mechanisms in place to track/hold your tower/team managers accountable for their performance. Especially at remote facilities. Facilitate easier transition to new positions without alerting current managers that the employee is looking and attempting to move, some managers are selfish and will sabotage the effort.