Xoom

www.xoom.com
  www.xoom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Xoom

The company doesn't treat their employees with respect.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xoom

Pros

Most of the non executive personnel were quite capable and conscientious. The company used to be a nice place to work. Most people seemed to enjoy working there.

Cons

Senior Management is very poor regarding communications and are slow to act. Termination of employees is very unprofessional. The HR Manager was inept as well.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Xoom (View Most Recent)

If you want to learn and improve your skills - don't even this about working here.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Xoom

Pros

Good working hours - 9-5 job.
    That also is the reason why it the worst code base I have ever seen in my life along with the worst IT department I have ever worked with.

Cons

IT department is a joke, you can't touch the production boxes as a software engineer. The same people setting up your email on your work machine are taking care of production. The database is a complete mess, the code base is filled with bugs and takes hours to build. Worst of all you can not do anything without IT permission. They don't know basic unix / linux commands and do more harm then good.

You will not really learn anything from engineering either as anyone with some talent will go elsewhere. As Sr. Mgmt has stated, "we are not a software company" .... and they are not lying. They don't know the first thing about software.

Overhaul IT, get competent people in there. Many engineers have left because of this group and this is a small city and word travels pretty fast. You guys already have a poor reputation amongst engineers. Good luck

OK Start-up but lack product innovation

I worked at Xoom

Pros

Many positions can be 9-5 jobs

Cons

Layoffs happen despite the tight staffing

Look into growing revenue rather than cutting cost to make the book look good for investors only.

There are newer employer reviews for Xoom