Xyratex
www.xyratex.com Havant, United Kingdom 1000 to 5000 Employees

Xyratex is a white collar sweatshop operating in a sinking and dying hard disk drive industry.

Whitecolar Slave (Current Employee)
Fremont, CA

I have been working at Xyratex

ProsThis review is regarding the Xyratex SI Division in Fremont, CA

To write this review I had to fill out a questionnaire with seventeen questions ranking certain aspects of the company on a 1 to 5 scale. I read each question carefully and my honest response resulted in 14 "1-stars" (no "0-star" option, unfortunately), and the following non 1-star items which I would consider the "Pros":

3-star: Okay pay for the area and industry (haven't had a raise in two years though)
3-star: Okay opportunity to improve professionally (outside the company through contacts)
4-star: Better than average benefits (good health plan and four weeks PTO that is hard to use)

Aside from the "Pros" indicated on the questionnaire, I would say, as others have, that the rank and file are wonderful people to work with and deserve much more respect. For those looking for work in this tough, consider Xyratex SI Division a paycheck, with benefits, until something better comes along (I survey many fellow employees, and this is the sentimate of 60% or more of the staff at Xyratex SI in Fremont).

ConsOnce again this review is regarding the Xyratex SI Division in Fremont, CA

There are so many cons outside the pros mentioned above its hard to determine where to start. The "Run Away Fast!" review is an accurate list. I feel this review will best serve the public by detailing the typical experience of working at Xyratex SI in Fremont.

Starting Out:
Formal training and a sound business process are non-existent. You are expected to hit the ground running and navigate the bureaucracy from day one with lightning speed. Why? Xyratex SI Fremont operates in constant fire fight mode 24/7. For newbies, the honeymoon last for about one or two weeks, as that is when they figure out that Xyratex SI Fremont is incredibly dysfunctional. I as well as many other have to constantly (25-50% of our time) help new hires and contract workers navigate the chaos while battle the blazes. The problem is exacerbated due to a constant turnover of people (i.e. the management ideology is front-line employees are expendable). For example, it's hard to find anyone that has been with the company beyond three or four years in Fremont.

Grinding On:
Once acclimated to the dysfunction and fire fighting, you adjust and work to the best of your ability. Project requirement focus on "how" customer needs are met. The "how" requirements are developed by marketing, and middle to upper management, as they are the only personnel that interacts with the customer. The rest of the organization is their to implement their vision for the project.

Unfortunately, marketing and management lack customer relation skills and diplomacy, and let the customer change the 'how" requirements continuously throughout each and every project. The deadline is never moved, and the fixed deadline is used to extract substantial overtime out of the rank and file as the project progresses. Deliverables, regardless of quality, are passed over the wall from department to department, each feeling the pain at some juncture in the project in a valiant effort to meet managements unreasonable deadline. Regardless of all the effort by the rank and file, the projects are substantially late and over budget. Worse yet, the next project assumes the prior projects deadline will be met. Therefore, the late project leads to a late start on the next project, leading to another late project; in a continuous and vicious cycle. Hence the environment of constant fire fighting and overtime!

Burnout:
Obviously operating an organization this way causes frustration, burnout, and down right resentment toward management. Hence, Glassdoors has many poor review regarding the management at Xyratex. Bucking the trend leads to being black listed and on the fast track for layoff or firing (Fear based management). Becoming a "yes-man" results in job security, a compromised character, and a complete loss of work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst, read the above review, in particular the cons, and you'll know exactly what is wrong with Xyratex SI Fremont, as well as potentially other areas of the business.

Second, clean out middle management, and flatten the organizational structure. There are way to many chiefs and not nearly enough indians (last review of the org-chart relieved 1 (chief) to 3.7 (indians)). Accept a quarter or two of substantial losses for Xyrates SI Fremont, to correct the systemic issues with the management, the organization, and the customer. Your long-term health is more important to the investors that matter, not the traders you keep listening to.

Third, the hand disk drive industry is dying, denial of this fact has directly impact your revenue, resulting in downsizing the expendable rank and file once again. There are other technology industries that are growing, which require test and automation equipment, obtain some vision, plant a seed, and watch the money tree grow!

It's a company that is on the decline

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Fremont, CA

I worked at Xyratex

Pros: A lot of very talented Engineers work here and the commitment that they have shown has been… Cons: There appears to have been significant cronyism going on at senior management level in the last couple of years within the SI Division, leading to… Advice to Senior Management: Starting at the SI EVP level and working downwards, dismantle the SI team… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Horrible upper-management

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Xyratex

Pros: If you're lucky enough to get a good direct report manager you will be happy. Unfortunately, Xyratex is not in the business of hiring such… Cons: Xyratex has recently shifted to a new software process called Team Software Process but internally it is referred to as something else for licensing reasons.… Advice to Senior Management: Treat your employees like human beings instead of code monkeys. Just because you've outsourced 60… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Xyratex.

Worked for Xyratex? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Xyratex reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Xyratex employees.