Xyratex

www.xyratex.com

Xyratex SI Fremont Management is Terrible, Period!!!

Ex=Employee - Xyratex SI Fremont (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsThere are only three pros, and in better economic times none are compelling enough to consider working for Xyratex in Fremont.

1) The fellow Fremont SI development team is wonderful (under different management we could do great things)
2) Pay is decent.
3) Benefits are decent

Cons1) The SI Fremont management is terrible; its the worst I've ever worked for, period.

2) Project planning is terrible and a known issue that the Xyratex SI - Fremont management continues to ignore. In my tenure with the company, I never saw a project, regardless of size, completed within 9 months. However, every project is allocated 4 months, and in reality most take 9, 12, or 15 months to complete due to a complete lack of vision and direction by management.

3) Excessive overtime is expected or out right demanded without consideration for the personal life of the employee (FYI: many on the development team worked 3 to 4 man-months of uncompensated overtime in 2010).

4) With only two or three customers left in the magnetic storage industry, the business cycles for Xyratex SI Fremont have significant peaks and valleys. Hence, job security is non-existent unless you follow managements orders for overtime, spur of the moment international travel, and doing "whatever it takes" to stay in the graces of middle to upper management.

5) Fear and bullying are the common methods used by management toward employees.

6) Vacation is difficult to use because of overtime, excessive work loads, and consistent stream blazing wildfires. Laptops and cell phones are given to employees while on vacation. Nice vacation, huh?

7) Executive management seems to direct by immediate business performance and its impact on short term stock price performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management, there are two business axiom you should know:

1) The coal-face workers are the best personnel to rely on for identifying business, operational, and development issues.
2) The coal-face workers have many great ideas on solving these issues, if only you would listen..

The reality TV show Undercover Boss is proof to this fact, as well as the accounts of more successful executives.

This forum contains feedback from what looks to be a majority of rank and file workers. Based on these axioms and this forum then; Fremont SI management is a major issue and removing a majority of that middle management is part of the solutions to improving business performance, moral, employee retention, customer perception, and growth.

Xyratex is a white collar sweatshop operating in a sinking and dying hard disk drive industry.

Whitecolar Slave (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

I have been working at Xyratex

Pros: This review is regarding the Xyratex SI Division in Fremont, CA To write this review I had to fill out a questionnaire with seventeen questions… Cons: Once again this review is regarding the Xyratex SI Division in Fremont, CA There are so many cons outside the pros mentioned above its hard… Advice to Senior Management: First, read the above review, in particular the cons, and you'll know exactly what is wrong with Xyratex SI Fremont, as well as potentially other… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

It's a company that is on the decline

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

I worked at Xyratex

Pros: A lot of very talented Engineers work here and the commitment that they have shown has been… Cons: There appears to have been significant cronyism going on at senior management level in the last couple of years within the SI Division, leading to… Advice to Senior Management: Starting at the SI EVP level and working downwards, dismantle the SI team… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Xyratex.

Worked for Xyratex? Contribute to the Community!