There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

terrible work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

The YMCA gives back to the community in diverse ways, and often encourages employees to assist with volunteering within the organization.

Cons

The senior management doesn't respect personal lives, and expects their employees to essentially do their jobs for them. The promotions are generally given to "diverse" candidates versus people who deserve them. Long days are often necessary, and salary employees often end up making less than minimum wage when their wages are broken down by the hour.

1376 Other Employee Reviews for YMCA (View Most Recent)

meeting and working with good people.

Former Employee - Member Service Representative  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Friendly coworkers
    Free membership
    Works with my schedule

Cons

Too few hours for me

It's not really the management's fault but having to only have one front desk associate for the day and one for the night, though it saves the company money, portrays us a bit on the unorganized side when members are waiting for assistance.

Big, well-established non-profit, with the benefit of large scale social good but the bureaucracy of a corporate job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

-They take care of their employees: benefits, training, etc
    - High number of employees that have been there for several years, creates family atmosphere
    - Contributing to a long-established community organization that supports people worldwide

Cons

- Bureaucratic and somewhat out of touch: with several branches within the San Francisco territory, low-ranking employees are rarely heard by senior management.

Be careful about the "Peter Principle." Sometimes the most senior person is not the best person to promote.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!