YMCA

www.ymca.net

Satisfactory, but I'm always on edge, plagued by management mishaps

Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe benefits package is ample, given that this is entry-level work - the healthcare plan is especially good considering the plans offered by similar jobs. Free membership to your local and surrounding gyms for you and your partner/roommate is good, and the facility itself is wonderful. The families I serve are mellow, happy people and a generally a pleasure to work with.

ConsJob titles may change (for better or worse) without your knowledge, and updated job descriptions may or may not be given to you. Slightly worse pay for the actual teachers than similar work, but management can make (self described) large amounts of money. Long time staff foster an unavoidable culture of middle school level tattle-tailing and malicious gossip, which has made me worry about the security of my position. Management may or may not have experience with what they're managing, leading to serious disconnects between practice and paperwork. Repeated reminders that anyone may be fired for misfiling paper work or accidental acts of negligence has set me and my coworkers on edge, and I've heard of several firings in that vein. I like my work, but this is not a sustainable position. No room for upward mobility whatsoever, but staff are still pressed to get more certifications, and higher positions are held are arm's length. No pay raise associated with certifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire management with direct experience with what they're managing - I am seeing and hearing about problems regarding this across programs and sites. Raise wages for service level staff if you want to retain them long term, and stop focusing on things that will get them fired. Provide actual positions for upward mobility if you are going to talk about it as a goal, and quell the raging gossip machine that has been fostered by long term staff.

It is a great job for people who are in school!

Group Leader (Current Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at YMCA

Pros: work with kids! Worked around my school schedule while I was… Cons: Not enough pay. Not enough hours. More

Good place to work for students. No career advancement. Big egos.

Lifeguard (Former Employee) Boston, MA

I worked at YMCA

Pros: - Easy job with low stress. - Pays more than minimum… Cons: - No chance of moving up in the company. They will hire an outsider for top positions most of the time. Only advancement a lifeguard… Advice to Senior Management: Realize that you are the boss and that what you say goes. Don't let workers walk all over you and have them influence your decisions.… More
There are newer reviews on YMCA.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!