YMCA

www.ymca.net
  www.ymca.net
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Satisfactory, but I'm always on edge, plagued by management mishaps

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

The benefits package is ample, given that this is entry-level work - the healthcare plan is especially good considering the plans offered by similar jobs. Free membership to your local and surrounding gyms for you and your partner/roommate is good, and the facility itself is wonderful. The families I serve are mellow, happy people and a generally a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Job titles may change (for better or worse) without your knowledge, and updated job descriptions may or may not be given to you. Slightly worse pay for the actual teachers than similar work, but management can make (self described) large amounts of money. Long time staff foster an unavoidable culture of middle school level tattle-tailing and malicious gossip, which has made me worry about the security of my position. Management may or may not have experience with what they're managing, leading to serious disconnects between practice and paperwork. Repeated reminders that anyone may be fired for misfiling paper work or accidental acts of negligence has set me and my coworkers on edge, and I've heard of several firings in that vein. I like my work, but this is not a sustainable position. No room for upward mobility whatsoever, but staff are still pressed to get more certifications, and higher positions are held are arm's length. No pay raise associated with certifications.

Hire management with direct experience with what they're managing - I am seeing and hearing about problems regarding this across programs and sites. Raise wages for service level staff if you want to retain them long term, and stop focusing on things that will get them fired. Provide actual positions for upward mobility if you are going to talk about it as a goal, and quell the raging gossip machine that has been fostered by long term staff.

1602 Other Employee Reviews for YMCA (View Most Recent)

It is a great job for people who are in school!

Current Employee - Group Leader in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

work with kids!
    Worked around my school schedule while I was in school.
    Good Hour times.

Cons

Not enough pay.
    Not enough hours.

Good place to work for students. No career advancement. Big egos.

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Boston, MA

I worked at YMCA

Pros

- Easy job with low stress.

- Pays more than minimum wage.

- Free use of gym equipment, pool, basketball court etc.

Cons

- No chance of moving up in the company. They will hire an outsider for top positions most of the time. Only advancement a lifeguard can expect is a promotion to Head Guard. I know people who've been working there for over a decade with no advancement.

- Aquatics Directors don't seem to care much sometimes and let lifeguards run the show. There were lifeguards taking 30 minute breaks and the AD was clueless. I believe she was afraid of her workers.

- Some of the lifeguards have the mentality of high school kids. Spreading rumors and trying to turn other Y employees against you.

- Some single guard pools do not allow you to take bathroom breaks as you cannot leave the pool unattended. If you leave the pool unattended you WILL get fired. If you need to use the bathroom you have to evacuate the entire pool and bring them outside the pool area. Single guard pools are the worst.

- Mandatory 2 hour monthly In-Service trainings. I don't really have a problem with these seeing as we do need to keep our skills sharp. What I do have a problem with however is that we don't practice our water rescue skills often enough.. Instead we go over the paperwork that is required (incident reports/accident reports) which is important, but I think we should be focusing more on proper life saving techniques more often. I believe that we should be in the water being taught perfect lifesaving skills. That way we can have more confident guards.

Realize that you are the boss and that what you say goes. Don't let workers walk all over you and have them influence your decisions. Word of mouth is not credible especially when dealing with high school politics minded lifeguards. They will nit pick at anything bad another guard did and blow it out of proportion. Be more in tune with what is happening at your pool.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA