There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Lead Lifeguard

Current Employee - Lead Lifeguard in Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Lead Lifeguard in Columbia, SC

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Members, they are so friendly and nice, easy to network with. Co-workers, the part time workers are awesome to work with.

Cons

Management sucks, they are lazy and only care about themselves. The directors only care about their own success and will do anything to make themselves look better or make others look worse. The pay also kind of sucks.

Pay attention to your staff. Be leaders and set an example. Appreciate your workers because without them you guys would be lost and shut down, they do so much for you guys and the Y.

reviews filtered by
  1. Supportive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Super friendly people who are empowered by a solid mission. From a high schooler to a seasoned employee, the YMCA is a very solid company.

Cons

The nature of the business limits it to low profits so salaries are not the best, but the success they have had allows them to provide a lot of other things.

Make a program to train the young kids that come through. Possibly a mentor program that they can get involved in.

2. Better than being unemployed and management is good at working with college students.

Former Employee - Group Leader in Saint Peters, MO
    Former Employee - Group Leader in Saint Peters, MO

I worked at YMCA

Pros

The employees are friendly and generally helpful. I enjoy having a free membership which would otherwise be hundreds of dollars each year. The best aspect of the YMCA is working well with college schedules and 2nd jobs. I've never had trouble getting the time off I need. Paid training and free Y-shirts.

Cons

Being a non-profit, the budget of the YMCA makes for some sad pay. The communication throughout the company needs work. The managers are doing the jobs of 3 people each.

This YMCA has improved a lot since I started a year ago, but it still is lagging behind the other 2 locations I worked at in the past. I know that budgeting is an issue for this non-profit, but I notice all of the leadership in my department are doing the jobs of 3 people each. This kills communication.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA