YMCA

www.ymca.net
  www.ymca.net
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Value-based company, sometimes not so great with the people skills.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The association was very upstanding as a whole, and had the "appearance" of helping employees succeed. They follow the law to a fault.

Cons

They seemed to value their employees on the whole, but in reality, if you have a bad manager/supervisor, you're stuck. They were helpful/positive/supportive towards the minority employees, the tenured (read "live the YMCA culture"), and the exempt employees, but anyone else seemed to be viewed as "lesser."

If you are going to be as upstanding and fair as you claim, every one of your employees should be valued equally (or why would you keep them?). Treating some better than others breeds dissent and just plain old lack of trust in your organization.

1602 Other Employee Reviews for YMCA (View Most Recent)

Lack of support. Poor leadership.

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in White Bear Lake, Ramsey, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher in White Bear Lake, Ramsey, MN

I have been working at YMCA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good in theory. Free health club membership. Average benefits. Started out okay but quickly took a turn for the worse. Decent retirement plan after two years.

Cons

My experience working for the y as a child care teacher was incredibly disappointing. For a non profit that promotes caring, honesty, and respect I am shocked at the lack of support and appreciation and general respect I experienced. It was a work enviornment that fostered workplace bullying, protected poor performing employees, and avoided addressing problems at all cost. Probably the worst company I have worked for. I watched all the great employees quit and all the poor employees recieve protection. Glad to move on to a new employer and feel appreciated again.

Start recognizing and tackling some of the issues that are crippling your child care program.

Unsatisfied working conditions in Oswego, New york

Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Oswego, NY
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Oswego, NY

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You do get free family membership for the volunteering the hours.

Cons

They dont want to hire you. They want you to keep volunteering until you quit volunteering. The customers treat you as if you dont exist. You are not an equal employee as a volunteer.

You need to do a better job on the employees who mistreat the volunteers.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA