Character Builders

Former Contractor - Teacher in San Diego, CA
Former Contractor - Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at YMCA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with college students, good pay, good schools

Cons

Supervisors are not very educated. Less educated person in supervising me, I do not agree. Spell check is needed for these employees.

Other Employee Reviews for YMCA

1. Do it for the kids

Former Employee - Camp Counselor/Site Lead in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor/Site Lead in Austin, TX

I worked at YMCA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with great kids Making a difference Learning valuable life lessons Leadership training

Cons

Stressful work Communication problems between staff and administrative directors Low pay Irrational parents

Advice to Management

Although some did a better job than others, lack of communication and support between the directors and staff working at after-school and summer camp programs brought down the experience for staff and children alike as the years went on during my employment with the YMCA of Austin. Many times I ran into situations in which directors hadn't properly notified camp staff about the specifics of field trips and events or failed to provide ample supplies for group activities and projects at sites. When push came to shove, much of the blame was usually thrown at camp staff, some rightly so, but without much accountability for their own actions and mistakes. To speak up would put you at risk of becoming a problem to eliminate. I would advise the management of the YMCA of Austin to own up to their failures and lead by example rather to inspire great work ethic rather than casting blame at every wrong turn. Hopefully things have turned around since I worked for them, as I know the turnover rate for administrative staff and directors is pretty high.

Great People, Great Perks, Low Pay

Current Employee - Group Wellness I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Group Wellness I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work with great people Free membership and discounted programs Childcare You get to be a part of something bigger than yourself- the Y is an amazing non-profit

Cons

Low pay Overworked at times Drug testing Disorganized

Advice to Management

- Develop SOP from branch to branch so people can better serve the organization as a whole, and make sure people feel supported and appreciated in their work- volunteers are constantly being recognized, but what about the staff that keeps the lights on and the facility running?