YMCA

www.ymca.net
  www.ymca.net
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Great experiences, but headed in wrong direction

Former Employee - Membership Associate in Nashville, TN
Former Employee - Membership Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, positive experiences, benefits are bad. I like that we had a central mission that drives all of our work. I felt like the work we did made a difference.

Cons

Leadership is poor and is only getting worse. Everything is becoming about profits and revenue. Members and lower level employees are being hung out to dry. The level of turnover is simply amazing. People are seeing the future of the company and are leaving at lightning speed. Either that or they're being replaced by people with less education and experience all for the sake of saving money. I've never in my life have seen so much back biting and lying at a company. It's sad.

Yes profits are important, but please take time to consider your employees and members first. If you don't make them happy, you'll see your profits steadily decrease.

1597 Other Employee Reviews for YMCA (View Most Recent)

It's My Y!

Current Employee - Fitness Staff in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Fitness Staff in Louisville, KY

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company that creates an environment of family for its employees

Cons

Pay scale is fairly low. It's not easy to move up in the ranks, although lateral movement is easy.

Rewarding, Enriching, and a journey of Self-Growth and Discovery.

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Port Huron, MI
    Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Port Huron, MI

I have been working at YMCA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff bonds together like a family and there is a great job satisfaction with teaching children how to preform an essential lifeskill (swimming in my case.) This is especially true when working with a disadvantaged or special needs child, to see the way their face lights up when they know they are mastering a specific skill, especially after a long period of learning.

Cons

Management sometimes does not understand how a certain department is run and therefore will issue decisions that are unreasonable but have to be complied with anyways. This usually causes a host of problems that the department takes the heat for before the issue is resolved.

Make sure that the department heads are truly in charge and let them manage their own areas of expertise. Positive interaction with employees also goes a long way, because most employees are younger and intimidated by big management executives, so smiles and encouragement helps break down barriers!

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA