YMCA

www.ymca.net
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Great experiences, but headed in wrong direction

Former Employee - Membership Associate in Nashville, TN
Former Employee - Membership Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, positive experiences, benefits are bad. I like that we had a central mission that drives all of our work. I felt like the work we did made a difference.

Cons

Leadership is poor and is only getting worse. Everything is becoming about profits and revenue. Members and lower level employees are being hung out to dry. The level of turnover is simply amazing. People are seeing the future of the company and are leaving at lightning speed. Either that or they're being replaced by people with less education and experience all for the sake of saving money. I've never in my life have seen so much back biting and lying at a company. It's sad.

Yes profits are important, but please take time to consider your employees and members first. If you don't make them happy, you'll see your profits steadily decrease.

1743 Other Employee Reviews for YMCA (View Most Recent)

Character Builders

Former Contractor - Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at YMCA as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with college students, good pay, good schools

Cons

Supervisors are not very educated. Less educated person in supervising me, I do not agree. Spell check is needed for these employees.

Do it for the kids

Former Employee - Camp Counselor/Site Lead in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor/Site Lead in Austin, TX

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with great kids
    Making a difference
    Learning valuable life lessons
    Leadership training

Cons

Stressful work
    Communication problems between staff and administrative directors
    Low pay
    Irrational parents

Although some did a better job than others, lack of communication and support between the directors and staff working at after-school and summer camp programs brought down the experience for staff and children alike as the years went on during my employment with the YMCA of Austin. Many times I ran into situations in which directors hadn't properly notified camp staff about the specifics of field trips and events or failed to provide ample supplies for group activities and projects at sites. When push came to shove, much of the blame was usually thrown at camp staff, some rightly so, but without much accountability for their own actions and mistakes. To speak up would put you at risk of becoming a problem to eliminate. I would advise the management of the YMCA of Austin to own up to their failures and lead by example rather to inspire great work ethic rather than casting blame at every wrong turn. Hopefully things have turned around since I worked for them, as I know the turnover rate for administrative staff and directors is pretty high.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA