YMCA

www.ymca.net
  www.ymca.net
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Fun place for a part time job- Glad mine wasn't full time!

Former Employee - Technique Swim Coach in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Technique Swim Coach in Houston, TX

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at the Y. As a technical swim coach I was only there to correct the strokes of the upper athlete’s, get paid (pretty well) and go home. I would show up my 2 lanes would be reserved, my kids would be ready on deck, equipment would be in the locker, we would do our thing and be done. I was never asked to contribute to the pool such as checking chemicals, cleaning, pulling tarps (all those really fun things) nor would it make since for me to as I was not there for open or close. PERFECT.

Cons

I didn't experience any con's while employed as a coach with the Y. I was very part time; in and out in less than 2 hours and on to the next pool. But I could see others that were stuck for entirely too long in the same chair "guarding" the pool with no relief. While other days I would come in and walk past the child care area where there were 15 terrible off the wall kids with one poor employee. It just seemed understaffed and I am sure underpaid.

Rotate your lifeguards. Besure that your childcare ratio is not up to code but BETTER. The state code is terrible, I ran a summer camp for years... it doesn't work. Employee incentives – Enough said.

1603 Other Employee Reviews for YMCA (View Most Recent)

Making a difference in the community.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mukilteo, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mukilteo, WA

I have been working at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This Y is focused on meeting needs in the community. Supervisors care about their people. If you take initiative and show potential, you can grow.

Cons

The Y is a first time employer for many people, so turn-over can be high, which can affect morale. If we can hold on to good people, we can make a difference. If we can't.......

Keep focusing on the important needs in the community. Do all you can to hold on to your great people.

Lots of Fun, Lots of Work

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

Full and busy schedule keeps you active and engaged, and the work life is a great mix of routine and fresh daily surprises. Free food and housing.

Cons

Very full schedule- on duty 22 hours a day.

Keep changing kids' lives.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA