YMCA

www.ymca.net
There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Great work place environment

I worked at YMCA

Pros

The people here are very nice.

Cons

Better integration more IT to daily work instead of manually.

1595 Other Employee Reviews for YMCA (View Most Recent)

Fun place for a part time job- Glad mine wasn't full time!

Former Employee - Technique Swim Coach in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technique Swim Coach in Houston, TX

I worked at YMCA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at the Y. As a technical swim coach I was only there to correct the strokes of the upper athlete’s, get paid (pretty well) and go home. I would show up my 2 lanes would be reserved, my kids would be ready on deck, equipment would be in the locker, we would do our thing and be done. I was never asked to contribute to the pool such as checking chemicals, cleaning, pulling tarps (all those really fun things) nor would it make since for me to as I was not there for open or close. PERFECT.

Cons

I didn't experience any con's while employed as a coach with the Y. I was very part time; in and out in less than 2 hours and on to the next pool. But I could see others that were stuck for entirely too long in the same chair "guarding" the pool with no relief. While other days I would come in and walk past the child care area where there were 15 terrible off the wall kids with one poor employee. It just seemed understaffed and I am sure underpaid.

Rotate your lifeguards. Besure that your childcare ratio is not up to code but BETTER. The state code is terrible, I ran a summer camp for years... it doesn't work. Employee incentives – Enough said.

Who would like to work for a company that doesn't follow its own standards?

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Full time benefits okay... but for the price you pay, they better be.

Cons

Many people in managerial positions only care about their job, and will do anything to keep it, including blaming others for mistakes made.

No raises for past 3 years, last raise was less than 2%.

It seems that Managers don't care about the staff, paying them as little possible (minimum wage) and expecting them to do work way over their pay grade.

Pay staff more than minimum wage, when others in the same organization make over $200,000 a year, I think the organization can pay better than minimum wage for what is expected.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA