There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Dont even think about a raise

Current Employee - Lifeguard
Current Employee - Lifeguard

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

Relaxing job, easy, get to meet many interesting people, they work around your schedule, work out for free, hard to get fired

Cons

If your parent or friends arent on the board of directors, or your not in good with upper managment you will always get the short end of the stick. It is so unorganized its not even funny. The front desk has no way of knowing who has paid their dues and who hasent, the accountant does not keep the computer up to date. You get no raises so forget about it. Managment where I work does not like face-to-face interaction, if they have a complaint they stuff it in with your check.

Advice to Management

give us a reason to stay motivated, give us raise and recognition

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Its' fun to stay at the YMCA

Former Employee - "Anonymous" in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - "Anonymous" in Gainesville, FL

I worked at YMCA

Pros

Management support was great in helping me succeed at my job.

Cons

The salary was not at the level I expected. However, it is a non - profit organization in a small town so it is expected.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job even with a tough economy.

It' sad the YMCA is such a difficult place to work.

Current Employee - Water Fitness Instructor/Swim Instructor in Cleveland, TN
    Current Employee - Water Fitness Instructor/Swim Instructor in Cleveland, TN

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

The other employees are friendly and cooperative. I love teaching water fitness and could be in the water all day if needed.

Cons

Management expects you to receive all kinds of certifications without compensating for your time or the cost of the certifications. When I started at the Y two months ago, I was throne into a position that I was not trained to do. As I searched for training I was told I needed to be certified in water fitness, swim instruction, CPR/First Aid, oxygen and assistant lifeguard training. The problem was that even though this is required and I wanted to aquire the certifications, no one at our Y provided any of this training except the swim instructors training. Everything else was me asking around to other Y employees in other Y's to hear of this training or that. Also, after finally finding the training, the dates usually fell on the nights I was supposed to work at the Y so I was required as a brand new employee to get subs for every night I missed to attent the cert classes. So I lost pay and payed for classes. The communication has been a nightmare. We do not have an Aquatic's Director because the general manager is saving money by not paying the salary, then he works to death the aquatics coordinator who is a very sweet lady with far too much on her plate. Due to the overworked coordinator, mandatory meetings are scheduled with the only communication being a flyer on one bulliten board next to the time clock. If you don't work that week, or are in cert classes, you don't know of these meetings. The coordinator is too swamped to email or call the employees. The pay is very low. I'm paid $8.15 as a water fitness instructor and swim instructor and land fitness instructor start at $12 here at the same Y. Neither rate is very high but why the inequality?

Advice to Management

Please care more for the employees and their needs. Please have respect for your employees by finding ways to pay them a decent wage. Non-profit or not, skimping on paying employees is never a morale booster and will trickle down to your members. You may find more members will join if your turnover slows and members find quality instructors. The good instructors will have to leave to receive reasonable pay while the marginal instructors stay because they cannot find work elsewhere.