YMCA
3.5 of 5 1,233 reviews
www.ymca.net Chicago, IL 150 to 499 Employees

Great cause ... poor management

Program Director (Current Employee)
Renton, WA

ProsUnder ideal situation, there are four important criteria in a good job ... interest, excitement, challenge, and fulfillment. After a year here, I can only say there were lots of challenges and it was interesting.

ConsConstantly told there is an expectation I need to work 60+ hours a week to get "all of my work" completed ... because of this, I consider the compensation as poor. My Supervisor/Manager is a work-acholic and a micro-manager and expects everybody to do the same ... which results in lots of unreasonable demands on her part and lots of stress on my part. Job description and work expectations I was told I when was hired either never materialized or were never completed. This was mostly due to constant changing priorities ... thus after a year, I've lost interest, am no longer excited and don't feel fulfilled or satisfied with this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind managers with better employer/employee skills ... and understanding of US Labor laws.

Great people, great environment, great mission

YMCA Youth Counselor (Current Employee)
    Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than a year

Pros: I enjoy the core values of honesty, caring, respect, and… Cons: Hard to get promoted within Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Very flexible hours!

Childcare (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at YMCA part-time for less than a year

Pros: Very flexible hours! It's also easy to find a sub if you can't make it to work. You can use the gym… Cons: They do not pay enough for the amount of work. There are never meetings held, so everyone is always on a different page or disagreement… Advice to Senior Management: Respect the workers more by paying them what they deserve. Create a solid schedule or list of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on YMCA.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YMCA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for YMCA CEO Neil Nicoll. All reviews posted anonymously by YMCA employees.