Great cause ... poor management

Current Employee - Program Director in Renton, WA
Current Employee - Program Director in Renton, WA

I have been working at YMCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Under ideal situation, there are four important criteria in a good job ... interest, excitement, challenge, and fulfillment. After a year here, I can only say there were lots of challenges and it was interesting.

Cons

Constantly told there is an expectation I need to work 60+ hours a week to get "all of my work" completed ... because of this, I consider the compensation as poor. My Supervisor/Manager is a work-acholic and a micro-manager and expects everybody to do the same ... which results in lots of unreasonable demands on her part and lots of stress on my part. Job description and work expectations I was told I when was hired either never materialized or were never completed. This was mostly due to constant changing priorities ... thus after a year, I've lost interest, am no longer excited and don't feel fulfilled or satisfied with this job.

Advice to Management

Find managers with better employer/employee skills ... and understanding of US Labor laws.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great people, great environment, great mission

Current Employee - YMCA Youth Counselor in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - YMCA Youth Counselor in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at YMCA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the core values of honesty, caring, respect, and responsibility.

Cons

Hard to get promoted within

2. Very flexible hours!

Current Employee - Childcare in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Childcare in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at YMCA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours! It's also easy to find a sub if you can't make it to work. You can use the gym and go to a lot of classes ALL for free! You meet new people every day and you build friendships with kids/parents.

Cons

They do not pay enough for the amount of work. There are never meetings held, so everyone is always on a different page or disagreement about how something is done. There is no schedule for the children to follow so its very hectic when you have 35 kids running everywhere and doing whatever they want and climbing everything and theres only 4-5 teachers in the room. Co-workers can be lazy most of the time. Management is just all over the place, there's not a solid way of handling issues.

Advice to Management

Respect the workers more by paying them what they deserve. Create a solid schedule or list of things the children can/cannot do and play with. Hold more meetings so that everyone is up to date.