Great Environment to work in

Former Employee - Lifeguard
Former Employee - Lifeguard

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fun and exciting work environment

Cons

Can be unorganized at times

Other Employee Reviews for YMCA

1. it was an okay company to work for thats strapped for money

Former Employee - Wellness Center Attendant in Quincy, IL
    Former Employee - Wellness Center Attendant in Quincy, IL

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

free gym membership is about the only perk of working for the ymca and working out after your shifts or before is a nice bonus

Cons

not good about promoting with in and i worked there 7 years and never received a yearly raise. It is non profit so it's a very cheap company to work for

Advice to Management

give raises like your legally required to do and promote from with in instead of bringing in people from the outside.

2. Great cause ... poor management

Current Employee - Program Director in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Renton, WA

I have been working at YMCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Under ideal situation, there are four important criteria in a good job ... interest, excitement, challenge, and fulfillment. After a year here, I can only say there were lots of challenges and it was interesting.

Cons

Constantly told there is an expectation I need to work 60+ hours a week to get "all of my work" completed ... because of this, I consider the compensation as poor. My Supervisor/Manager is a work-acholic and a micro-manager and expects everybody to do the same ... which results in lots of unreasonable demands on her part and lots of stress on my part. Job description and work expectations I was told I when was hired either never materialized or were never completed. This was mostly due to constant changing priorities ... thus after a year, I've lost interest, am no longer excited and don't feel fulfilled or satisfied with this job.

Advice to Management

Find managers with better employer/employee skills ... and understanding of US Labor laws.