There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Wonderful place to work. All locations!

Current Employee - All Areas  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - All Areas in Houston, TX

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co workers are great and very family oriented

Cons

Should not have to pay for membership for employee

1382 Other Employee Reviews for YMCA (View Most Recent)

Christian Values Not Demonstrated

Current Employee - Aquatics  in  Burlington, KY
    Current Employee - Aquatics in Burlington, KY

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work isn't difficult. They are very lenient with the times that you have to work. I could not show up to work for a week and still have my job next week. Good starting block as your first job.

Cons

Management is very poor. Our schedules were given to us the day before we had to work. They refused to pay me for hours that they scheduled me for. The YMCA messed up my biweekly paycheck multiple times. They scheduled many employees over 40 hours, but they didn't pay them overtime. They also restrict many positions to age.

1. Some of your best employees are under 21. You had future Scientist, Teachers, Engineers, and Leaders. Let them to the Pool Deck Supervisor or assistant management roles.
    2. Pay your employees and be fair. Act out the Christian values the you preach. Many of your younger employees make minimum wage and are trying to pay their way through college or buy their first car.
    3. When you cheat people out of money, your employees are not going to work nearly as hard. Many of your employees are intrinsically motivated; you take that away when aren't fair.
    4. Swim Lessons isn't worth working. You either need to implement a longer shift or better pay. A one hour shift making minimum is not long enough.
    5. HR needs to take a more active role.
    6. Reward your employees. Many employees end up leaving, because they don't feel appreciated. A simple "thank you" or a $5 gift card goes a long way.

Pleasant Work Environment, Low Pay

Current Employee - YMCA Lifeguard  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - YMCA Lifeguard in Richmond, VA

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The YMCA provides constant job training (with pay), clients were generally pleasant, the work environment was rarely stressful, and management tended to be on your side if problems ever arose.

Cons

Management was occasionally too demanding in terms of expectations outside the job description, there was little recognition of hard work, and compensation did not track with experience. Co-workers were commonly lazy or inexperienced. Turnover at the middle-management level was also a problem.

Introduce greater incentives to the most diligent employees.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!