YMCA
3.5 of 5 1,232 reviews
www.ymca.net Chicago, IL 150 to 499 Employees

This is a fun place to work for a student, or a recent graduate. Not a place for a career.

Program Director (Current Employee)
Long Beach, CA

ProsThe people who work at the Y, and who come to the Y are a lot of fun to be around. Because of all of the interactions work never gets dull.

ConsNot a lot of room for upward mobility or advancement. Training opportunities are weak. Staff are underpaid and raises are not awarded on an annual basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementPraise, develop, and reward staff who are driven and are producing results. Cut staff and programs that are not pulling their weight. Focus on quality of programs, not the quantity of programs.

Fitness Instructor

Fitness Instructor (Current Employee)
    Barrington, RI

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: the members are awesome and front line staff are awesome. Cons: Pay is horrible, you are not compensated fairly and they… Advice to Senior Management: Understand what members want and need by asking your employees. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

I had a great time because of the kids.

Camp Counselor (Former Employee)
    Crystal Beach, FL

I worked at YMCA part-time for less than a year

Pros: The kids are the most important thing. I had a lot of freedom because it was an offsite location… Cons: Management is super critical instead of trying to resolve problems. They also give off-site locations nothing… Advice to Senior Management: Get it together and give some time to off-site locations… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on YMCA.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YMCA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for YMCA CEO Neil Nicoll. All reviews posted anonymously by YMCA employees.