okay

I worked at YMCA full-time

Pros

people are generally nice and prosocial, with the exception of a few of my male lifeguard coworkers. I worked at two locations, and both of my bosses were amazing.

Cons

the pay was not great. at one point I was teaching something upwards of six or seven swim lessons a day, and so became increasingly burnt out. the work was extremely emotionally draining, and I felt that I was expected to give and give but with nothing in return.

Advice to Management

please don't ask us to drive all the way to work just to teach a single swimming lesson. we lose money on this.

Other Employee Reviews for YMCA

1. Great to volunteer for, hard to obtain positions

Pros

If you enjoy doing the kinds of things the ymca does like athletic programs, childcare, or organizing meetings this would be a great starting volunteer position. Volunteer positions are also very easy to get, at least at my local YMCA branch.

Cons

If you want to actually work there, there are few paid positions available. They are also what some might call unorganized.

Advice to Management

Having a set duty for volunteers instead of multiple different roles for a single volunteer would be more ideal

2. Great experience, extremely ramshackle behind the scenes

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Putnam Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Putnam Valley, NY

I worked at YMCA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment Chance to work with a diverse group of people Supervisors were easygoing Made numerous friendships with co-workers and clients

Cons

Pay was less than minimum wage Forced to work in inclement weather Forced to train new recruits

Advice to Management

Increase pay for counselors and don't discourage tip giving/confiscate tips!!!