The C needs to stand for Cash

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher  in  Frederick, MD
Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Frederick, MD

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

none....free membership (not costing them a dime!)

Cons

everything is about the dollar....They could care less about child development. Their non profit status is a joke...The profit goes in the managements pocket. If you question or expose their dirty little deeds your job will be eliminated and they will stalk you on social media for find any way to dispose of you. I have worked with their child care teachers and each and everyone did nothing but sit at a table engaged with themselves. Twenty three years of experience in child development and the first time I get fired for questioning their motives. I am an advocate for children not the Y's pocketbook. I will continue to stand for what is right...they won't stop me!

Put people before the mighty dollar that you only share among yourself

Other Reviews for YMCA

It was a job but It was rough

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Huntsville, AL

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

It enhanced my communication skills and I was able to work with children of all ages.

Cons

The director rarely took your side when an issue arose with a parent. The director left the facility frequently which left no one to give you a bathroom break or a break in general. The facility itself was unclean, was not deep cleaned everyday and the floors were barely cleaned once a week. Not allowed to print coloring sheets for students to color, had to bring in my own supplies bought by my own paycheck.

Keep in touch with every employee to make sure their needs are being met. Upgrade your facilities so it is safe for the children. Most of all, make sure you have extra staffing. Go above and beyond of what DHR expects.

Great place for members to workout and make friends:But current Mgmt doesn't consider what is best for staff & members.

Former Employee - Healthy Living Counselor  in  La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Former Employee - Healthy Living Counselor in La Canada Flintridge, CA

I worked at YMCA part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The members are fabulous! We have excellent communications with them. Members love coming to the Y because of the bonds they've created with the Y staff. Whether they come in for a tough workout, a gentle yoga class, grab a bite to eat, or have coffee with their friends. This has to the most welcoming place for people of all ages.

Cons

However, they're targeting to the younger generations and this Y is becoming more like a big box fitness business instead of working with and encouraging multi-generations of members to keep this company going strong and provide the comfort, warmness, and care to everyone who visits the facilities.

Be transparent with ALL staff. Stop making rash decisions. Include staff input to help make your organization strong from its foundation.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!