YMCA

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA

Child care provider

Former Employee - Childcare in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Childcare in Houston, TX

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company values work life balance it's like a family

Cons

Pay personal growth if you come in at the bottom it is hard to move up fast

1666 Other Employee Reviews for YMCA (View Most Recent)

Thoroughly enjoyed my journey from swim instructor to head lifeguard while going to college

Former Employee - Head Lifeguard/Welcome Center Program Assistant in Taunton, MA

I worked at YMCA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was able to move up and learn more about the company while cultivating useful skills that have carried to other jobs. There is no better environment for meeting new people, the revolving door of members and staff introduce you to people you otherwise wouldn't interact with

Cons

I was given new job titles and responsibilities with almost no money attached to them. I saw four exec directors in my 3 1/2 years on staff.

Many of the employees on our staff (after school care, guards, fitness staff ) had never been to a Y training and if asked wouldn't be able to tell you what the Y's mission is. Needed more consistency from upper management.

No training, poor support from management, well-behind the technology curve with their software, and lost of gossip.

I worked at YMCA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being a non-profit, the YMCA looks to make membership, programs, and activities available to all and does award financial aid scholarship.

Cons

Software is highly out-dated, pay is extremely low (however, this is a non-profit), the YMCA also seeks to hire part-time employees to do full-time work so that they do not have to pay for benefits. Highly stressful environment, the members treat the staff members terribly and are incredibly demanding. Upper level management has been there a very long time and is not very welcoming to new ideas and/or staff. Close-knit network of upper-level management that is more self-invested in their retirement plans and their stake in the community than actually doing good work.

The YMCA will be getting a new CEO in September, thankfully, and hopefully someone who has some business skills and is looking to implement a lot of programmatic change.

There are newer employer reviews for YMCA