Account executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL
Former Employee - Account Executive in Birmingham, AL

I worked at YP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

friendly work environment if you have a hands off manager. Made lifetime friends. Really good insurance. Not too much travel.

Cons

waay too much nepotism and good ole boy syndrome. Managers even upper management that were not good at sales. Didn't support sales reps enough. Antiquated equipment.

Advice to Management

change hiring practices. Not diverse enough in outside sales. Hired too many friends and cousins......

reviews filtered by
  1. Working to change

Current Employee - Compensation in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Compensation in Tucker, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are trying to shed the AT&T image and really trying to stand on their own brand. They are making visible efforts to change and keep improving the company.

Cons

Like working for start up

Advice to Management

Try to 'soften blow' to the legacy employees that are going through changes to their benefits, managers, etc

Terrible Work Environment - Unethical Managers - Lack of Company Direction

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at YP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great salespeople can make a decent income, however the potential income you can make has declined dramatically since 2011. New reps only start at approx. 35k. Reps starting 3 years ago started at 50k. Company started cutting commissions several years ago and are looking to continue cuts.

Cons

Management is severly undertrained, unqualified, unmotivated, and unethical. No sales rep worth his salt would ever transition to management at YP.com. Health benefits were cut in 2013 - now they are among the worst in the industry. There is little to no investment in our product - we still sell the same products we did 5-7 years ago. Total lack of company innovation. Every rep walks on eggshells since AT&T dumped the majority stake of the company to a ruthless Capital Management Firm. The reality is that the business metrics are going downhill fast. The company wants you to sell new clients with total disregard for current ones. The company's expectations of a sales rep are totally disconnected from reality. Company recently cut PTO, eliminated certain SPIFFS, and launched a new product without any credible research. THIS JOB CONTINUES TO GET WORSE AND WORSE...

Advice to Management

The new capital managment firm loves to hire expensive VP's to SOLVE the firms problems. We all know that 90% of the work done at this company is at the ground level. I've seen over a dozen different managers and 4 VPs of sales since I started. Culture is non-existant.