YP

www.yp.com
  www.yp.com
There are newer employer reviews for YP

So much potential, so little action.

Current Employee - Executive Director in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Executive Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great advertiser base and not a terrible consumer property.

Cons

- C-Level execs are uninspiring, fake and greedy.
- Private equity owners are smarmy.
- Organization is bureaucratic.
- No employee is happy to be working there.

476 Other Employee Reviews for YP (View Most Recent)

Cares very little about customers, even less about employees. The quick sale is king.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Anaheim, CA

I worked at YP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a good company before SBC, ATT and YP took over. Began selling late work at huge discounts which irritated the customers that you need to sign up for the next campaign.

Cons

Managed through fear of losing your job (a very real fear, since they outsourced most of the publishing jobs to a company in India)

Outsourcing customer contact jobs to another country does little to improve customer satisfaction, or to help the sales force achieve their goals.

If I can learn to work at this place, I can work ANYWHERE!!

Current Employee - Premise Account Executive in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Premise Account Executive in Tucker, GA

I have been working at YP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The products actually work! I really believe in what I am selling. Some of the people are very creative and smart. I have learned more in the past two years than I could have imagined. This position has opened up a whole new career path for me.

Cons

The sales force is micro managed and due to the outsourcing of some integral clerical and creative staff there are miscommunication issues that have lead to the SALES FORCE having to pay back their commissions. There are a myriad of things that can go wrong when an account rep makes a sale, most outside of the control of the rep, yet the rep gets blamed for all mistakes. In the end those errors can lead to lost commissions (owing the company money!), lost bonuses and lost jobs!

The management talks to us like were are naughty children at school, forcing us to work
    longer hours without overtime pay if certain conditions aren't met. The expectations are unreasonable, and most of my sales team did not meet these "conditions" or expectations. Management has "knee jerk" reactions to mandates coming from above and enforces policies that actually prevent us from being successful sales people! At times I literally think they are thinking of ways NOT to pay us.

Telephone sales in other regions are allowed to re-canvass behind closed outside sales accounts and offer ridiculously discounted programs. Customers are knowledgeable of this an cancel advertising programs with outside sales reps and wait for the telephone sales to contact them. We lose credibility as a sales force, and worst of all we are telling our customers our products have no value. This can cost an outside sales rep their job and it significantly impacts compensation in a negative manner.

Worst of all, there is a "smoke and mirrors" thing going on. I believe the company is going to be sold again, and so they are forcing those of us who have customers to handle to focus on new business and bring in units of sales. The revenue doesn't matter. I found out today that if I land a New Business sale I have been working on that will bring the company over 6K a month in revenue I could still lose my job because I am short 4 units of New Business. So I need to go focus on going door to door to small business owners and try to sell something that will bring 7 dollars a month. I don't get it.

Customer service is key. If everything is the responsibility of the sales force then allow us the time to service our customers properly. If something goes wrong we PAY OUR COMMISSIONS BACK, let us take care of our customers.

There are newer employer reviews for YP