There are newer employer reviews for YRC Freight

This company is full of people who really care about their customers, their jobs and each other.

Current Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Overland Park, KS
Current Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at YRC Freight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay, benefits and office environment. Although old technology is still prevalent, there is a concerted effort to upgrade to new. As an IT person, there are lots of opportunities to learn and be involved with the entire development process.

Cons

The economy and poor management decisions by a previous regime has ravaged the company's finances. All non-union employees (me) suffered a 10% pay cut and then no raises in 7 years. The company appears to be recovering, but IT folks have other opportunities; turnover is high.

Other Employee Reviews for YRC Freight

Thought it was going to be good for me, but not so much after 3 days...

Former Employee - Dock Supervisor in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Dock Supervisor in Carlisle, PA

I worked at YRC Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very decent base salary for Dock Supervisor position, an overall good group of unionized Dock Workers to manager and oversee, a decent amount of room for advancement even to other areas and terminal hubs around the country, great benefits offered after 30 days of hire, as a supervisor you work 5 days a week and off 2, your day moves by pretty fast on any given day as a supervisor, great work environment, but the position as a Dock Supervisor turned out to not be for me...it's for some and not everyone for sure

Cons

Long days and hours, no overtime at all as a supervisor or manager, high-stressed work environment with a higher level of noise and smells (i.e. electric fork lift propane fumes, diesel truck fumes, etc.), heard it can take a while to advance within management, but is possible to move up, the Dock Supervisor position is pretty difficult and takes a certain kind of personality to be successful in

Advice to Management

When you bring in a new hire for Dock Supervisor, especially someone as myself who had no previous transportation/dock experience, have a well-planned training schedule set up for the employee and not just have the employee walk around and learn visually. YRC Freight is a good company overall, but they have no training for someone coming into the Dock Supervisor role. They do offer an Operations Trainee position that trains one for the dock and other areas, I believe, but I was selected for the Dock Supervisor position and honestly the training was not great at all. I would suggest to management to train your new Dock Supervisors better and have someone (whether a manager or supervisor) showing them the basics first, then some formal videos and/or training book work, and then taking the person out on the dock to have them apply the operations of the terminal from what they've learned. I understand that this position isn't for "everyone", but I believe more people like myself would stay with the company if things were set up a little better to train someone for the position and not just have them walk around and follow a supervisor.

Mixed reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

Pros

Other than the pay there isn't much that's good to say about this company.

Cons

Management is ruled by the union. They are bound by what the union wants and there isn't much wiggle room.