There are newer employer reviews for YWCA

Cheers!

Current Employee - Advocate in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Advocate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at YWCA

Pros

It's a very rewarding place to work, and the managment is flexible with scheduling. It is understood most of the women have families, and our families are as valued as those we serve. It is also a supportive environment and there are opportunities for growth as they seem to prefer to promote from within when applicable. There is a lot of opportunity to gain the skills needed in the helping profession. You meet and work with people of all types and backrounds.

Cons

The pay. Non-Profits tend to be underfunded and understaffed. I make very little money for the kind of work I do. This job can be mentally and emotionaly difficult and it is sometimes hard to keep your sanity.

I really like the women I work for. There are some things I think could change, but nothing significant and the details would make it too obvious who I am!

85 Other Employee Reviews for YWCA (View Most Recent)

YWCA as Employer

Former Employee - Social Services Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Social Services Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at YWCA as a contractor

Pros

Higher than average wages + extended benefits + pension plan

Cons

All of the above creates an atmosphere of office gossip, backstabbing, internal favourism & preferential treatment as well as disrespect for the skills, education, industry certification and/or experience gained anywhere else outside of the Y. Those few employees that try doing quality work get reminded of their lacking seniority, "life experience" vs "just a certificate", and will eventually be squezeed out.

Meanwhile the so called veterans get away with grossly outdated skills dating back to 70s, as well as unkempt appearance; they often re-use dusty, 15 years-old curriculums, freely take sick days and have lots of uncorfirmed "appointments" - managers typically don't care "as long as the work is done". Those with seniority largely count on being "kept" at the times of contracts renewal. Everyone knows about positions being created or being split to keep so and so on board, even after their contract expires while the inconvenient "troublemakers" dissapear from the scene pretty quickly.

At the Y, it's whom you know, NOT your day-to-day work performance or position related skills. Work performance reviews are rare and inconsistent. CEO has a large marketing department that blows the horn about "everything great at the Y" - eleborate marketing campaigns, Youtube videos, fundraising and Sponsor recognition events, annual awards ceremonies, etc, etc, not to forget the famous tagline and the banner on the wall - "We've been changing lives for over 100 years". Even donations are slow, the manager would personally remind you that you need to make one, so that the Y would reach the target number.

At the same time, the Y would get rid of anyone who dears to ask a question, challenge a policy or disagree and it's a one of the signed policies banning employees to talk to media at any time and to direct all media inquires to the assigned media specialist.

Visual minorities look good on teh Y's printed materials, so you may notice the same black girl face front and centre on all their promotional brochures, as well as visual minorities in many middle management positions.

Need a serious wake up call and independent auditing on all levels!

YWCA Response

May 1, 2014Human Resources

Hello,

We are sorry you feel this way and encourage you to contact us directly to discuss your concerns.

Regards,

Human Resources
    YWCA Metro Vancouver

Great work life balance.

Former Employee - Employment Counsellor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Employment Counsellor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at YWCA as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flex time enable you to work a little longer each day and take every other Friday (or whatever day you choose) off. It's nice to have the additional long weekends. Employees and family members also get YWCA fitness memberships, which is great!

Cons

Hires career services staff on contracts which have to be renewed each year. When funding changes occurred and many staff did not get their contracts renewed, there were no severance packages.

Improve salaries.