Yahoo

www.yahoo.com
  www.yahoo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Totally neglects local technical talents.

Former Employee - Technical Yahoo in New York, NY
Former Employee - Technical Yahoo in New York, NY

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Good benefits and compensation. Reimbursement for gym membership, train fares. You can work your own hours. Come in at 10 and leave at 5, and they could care less. As long as you get your job done.

Cons

Their platform (rmx) is at a standstill because talented local people (like me) are leaving left and right and they are not hiring any new local devs. Instead, they rely on inexperienced and horrible outsourced contractors to maintain the platform. It is also old. They make futile attempts to retrofit it with new features but it has reached a point where maintaining it is absolutely senseless. It's better to just rebuild the entire platform from scratch. Moreover, the management is highly incompetent and makes reckless decisions. Oh by the way, the management is replaced with someone from the west coast who barely knows the entire platform, and he rarely visits the team here on the east coast. You can guess why the platform is in deep trouble. They won't make an effort to retain you either.

You need to invest in at least a dozen new local developers and hire half a dozen technical support to get the platform back on its feet. You pretty much failed at management. I hope someone sees this and realized how dismal the state of RM is. But my impression is that they don't really care about the tech team here on the East Coast because they're too busy chilling and enjoying the weather in Sunnyvale.

To the big shots: I know this is the only thing you are hired for, but please stop making senseless speeches about your vision and strategic plans. Instead, focus more on quality engineering and addressing the platform problems. Please don't attempt to save a few bucks by outsourcing, this is one of the reason why Yahoo! is failing.

1839 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Reorg galore!

Current Employee - Web Analytics Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Web Analytics Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

none that I could think of, other than great medical insurance. oh and they do have a bauer shuttle from SF, if you care to find out everything that is going on with your colleagues while you ride.

Cons

everything -- the company is a mess, the leadership sucks, the CEO is horrid.

go away already!

On the surface, a dream job, but reality soon kicks in...

Former Employee - Account Manager in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Great pay, great people, clean and relaxed (casual) atmosphere. Great networking opportunities, lots of peer-support resources.

Cons

Favoritism amongst management, no clear path to promotion/advancement/branching out. Poor communication between departments. Floor managers came off as passive-aggressive when handling important personnel issues.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo