There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

A very flexible place to work but he senior management team and board are incompetent as far as I am concerned.

Current Employee - Principal Engineer
Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

The overall compensation package is pretty darn good and the work environment is very flexible.

Cons

Business and engineering processes are nearly non-existent. I could probably write a book on all of the problems within Yahoo.

Advice to Management

The lack of vision is really astounding. I have no problem with laying off people if there is justification and a well thought out plan behind the layoff. Executive management should try better communicating with senior management and solicit their input when making such major personnel changes. There should be clear strategic goals conveying what is trying to be accomplished.

Even when executive management does happen to come up with some goals, there never seems to be an tactical plan for accomplishing those goals. To me, this is a failure in communication between the executive management team and the senior management team.

reviews filtered by

Very political environment. Managers will take credit for your work, and co-workers will backstab you to get ahead.

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Salary and benefits were very competitive.

Cons

Constant reorganizations and layoffs made the environment even more cut-throat, and contributed to low morale.

Advice to Management

More focus on product cross-promotion to increase customer retention. More focus on personalization of the user experience to drive monetization. More focus on partner monetization for international markets. Retain personnel who understands global product development and deployment from a technical and business perspective. Yahoo leadership has consistently cut too deep during layoffs, which has contributed to unnecessary loss of talent.

Overall, good, but it wore on me after 4 years of constant change and poor management decisions

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

A dynamic high energy company when things are good. Smart and creative people with nice camaraderie. Great world wide brand recognition.

Cons

Lacks a clear vision of what the company is all about. The sooner they figure this out, the sooner they can focus their resources in the right direction.

INNOVATE - come up with something that is game changing

Advice to Management

There should be a rotational aspect to the company that encourages more bottoms up promotions. There is a a layer of VP's that just get recycled after each re-org and maybe it is time for new leadership at this level.