Yahoo

www.yahoo.com
  www.yahoo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Yahoo is a fun place to work.

Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo

Pros

Yahoo's culture is a work-hard, play-hard culture, which I really like. Also Yahoo emphasizes taking care of employees and making them feel at home. So from inside, Yahoo is a very fun and friendly place to work for. Another nice thing about Yahoo is the impact it has, you get to change the lives of 100s of millions of users all around the world, that is not something you can do at many other companies.

Cons

Google outshines it, so you will continuously feel bad about that, despite the fact that it is a good company and leader in many areas other than search. For example, Yahoo is number one in Mail, Messenger, Finance, News, and Sports, only in Search it is number two to Google, but unfortunately Search is the biggest money maker due to its highly monetizable business model (explicit intent).

Having a clear focused sense of direction for a sustained time period, they keep flipping around a lot.

1842 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

A good company going through a tough time.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Yahoo is a great company, with respect to work-life balance. The people I work with are great. The benefits are good. There is a pretty good focus on talent development, and of course, it's Yahoo, so we server 500 million customers a month and have all of the interesting challenges of scale. Aside from that, I think my manager is probably one of the best managers I've ever worked for. My VP is also great. And, we're embracing the latest engineering strategies (cloud computing, open, etc.) in a way that is distinct from Yahoo a few years ago. In all, I like working there.

Cons

The downsides of working at Yahoo are that the company is being clobbered in the market right now right and left. Many internal divisions have a lot of legacy code, so there's a lot of work managing the legacy code, and it's very difficult to move software forward because there's a lot of legacy code to iterate on. Also, it's been a stressful year in the media, Yahoo's had two rounds of layoffs in the last year, and many divisions have been totally cut, so many people are confused as to what the overall mission of Yahoo is and what its plan is to get back on top of search.

Hmm... advice. I'd change Yahoo to make it easier to move around within the company.

Not as good as it used to be for career development and growth

Current Employee - Web Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Web Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Yahoo is well known for its brand. Its front page is among those top trafficked websites in the world. It has a well defined community for development. The company also try to balance work and life by constantly having fun events and activities for its employees. It offers free beverages and gourmet coffee to employees, as well as transportation to connect to major cities in bay area.

Cons

Some of the management teams are incompetent. They don't know how to lead Yahoo in this competitive market. They also don't treat the people working for them fairly. Their evaluation process can be very opinionated to their own benefits.

Should constantly review the capability of management team and product team as well besides focusing on the sales, finance and develop teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo