Yahoo

www.yahoo.com

Not as "Fun" of a place as the yodel suggests

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsFlex-time and opportunities to work from home, which are ideal for working parents. Nice fringe benefits like free coffee, snacks (in Santa Monica), soda, gym membership, etc. The brand is well-known and highly respected externally. It's nice to be a part of such a global brand.

ConsVery little career advancement opportunities. It's so political that promotions are based more on who you know rather than what you've accomplished or how hard you work. And management is lacking in many ways. They can't manage, no matter how many management courses they take. The few good managers have already left.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the managers are incompetent. I'd say that only about 10% of the managers are actually adequate. The rest are terrible at providing support, guidance, and smart decision-making. They care more about their own careers rather than the people, products and Yahoo! overall. It's a shame the company has become so tainted with bureaucracy, politics, in-fighting. I came to yahoo a few years ago with so much excitement and enthusiasm. But all that was killed within a few months due to the poor management, inefficiencies, disorganization, and pure chaos.

Has it's benefits

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Yahoo

Pros: Lot of good internal internet technologies, smart and knowledge people,… Cons: Each team can be very different, thereby no standard work culture, some first level managers are… Advice to Senior Management: Things have changed. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

More bad vs. Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros: The audience scale and the brand itself render this place fun. Given Yahoo! is a… Cons: Poor management decisions, too many layers, restructuring continually with poor decisions being made about layoffs, leveraging expensive consultants for restructuring purposes when… Advice to Senior Management: Simplify goals and get rid of roadblocks who hinder revenue… More

There are newer reviews on Yahoo.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!