There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Company can be saved if only upper management is replaced

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

free latte, young and competent coworkers, nice gym, good compensation package. friendly people with most of them genuinely trying to excel at their jobs.

Cons

lousy management. no clear strategic direction and choke full of politics at every level of organization

quit and stop screwing people who are sweating bullets for you every day

1764 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

Despite choppy waters at the moment, I really enjoy working here now and look forward to winning the challenges ahead.

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

There are not a lot of companies out there where just about any new product gets 50+ PR mentions and thousands of users on Day 1 of its release. That's just the coolest thing in the world. And I love the challenge of coming up with pretty broadly appealing mass market products - how am I going to make something that works for at least half the Internet?

Cons

Though I feel it is reversible, Yahoo was on a decline before the economy turned sour - and with two rounds of layoffs in under a year, it's had the effect of shoving a lot of good people out the door before they get caught unawares. That's created an above average level of churn, which really cuts out a lot of momentum towards changes.

I also think Yahoo! can be a bit hidebound at times, depending on the management above you. Sometimes shipping a lite version is better market insight than a market study.

Yahoo's got good bones, and passionate people - but we need to quickly (<1 year) get to a few key initiatives and start getting clear wins. Don't sell Search - the insights are too valuable to so many other products.

A great innovative environment!

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Yahoo

Pros

Benefits and salaries are very competitive. Environment is great. Not too stiff. It's amazing to work with some of the most talented and intelligent people in the industry. A great place to grow professionally. free coffee. awesome training and development opportunities. the most amazing and engaging conversations I've ever had in any job. Great people! Amazing energy at this company!

Cons

can never keep anything straight with all the re-orgs and projects dying and being created. difficult to follow or understand the direction different teams or management is going. Too many politics and hidden agendas.

focus on a small set of products and deliver amazing results rather than trying to work on many things and doing an okay job at all of them. Take the approach that Apple has over recent years and focus on a small set of things and deliver an amazing product!

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!