Yahoo

www.yahoo.com

Do you Yahoo!?

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

- "Yahoo!" brand on your resume: Contrary to what many so called financial analysts of bankrupt Lehman Brothers, Merill Lynch, Goldman Sachs etc. describe; the company still carries a great reputation among general public.
- So many really smart people: Some of the people are really top notch. A look at the developer network would give you a glimpse of the talent at Yahoo!
- Fun culture: People work hard and party harder
- Free latte/mocha and other facilities: Great facilities. Although, no 'free food' but good pay. Free lattes alone can save you $1200 every year. :-P
Overall, a great environment to work

Cons

You have to develop thick skin as media has been lashing out at the company for a long time.
Matrix org structure makes it difficult to figure out responsible groups. Success has many fathers and failures have none. Too many managers and incompetent sales force.

Get out of the shadow of Google. Yahoo! is still a great company with many great people. Improve decision making. Get rid of dead wood.

Other reviews for Yahoo

It's OK

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Yahoo provides a lot of challenging work. There is variety in the tasks we do and projects we work on. The people I work with are, for the most part, very professional and reliable. Management in my area is responsive and very supportive when it comes to helping us navigate the wider organization. The campus has a lot to offer and is a pleasant place to be. Our management is very progressive about using the latest tools, gives us training regularly, and provides us with support services that many companies no longer offer.

Cons

At Yahoo, we work very hard. There are few lulls in the action. It is hard to get time off. Most people are overloaded, and in this economy, we are unfortunately not hiring. There is a constant stream of action items coming in every day of the week. While this can be good, as it is not boring, the stress level is high. In addition, recently some of the "perks" were taken away, things that made working at Yahoo fun like snacks and drinks. Plus, they ended 401K matching and suspended raises. Since I was already earning less at Yahoo than I was at my previous job, this doesn't make me terribly happy.

Bring back the perks. Be more flexible about giving time off. Reward employees, even in this economy, so we'll stick around instead of burn out and move on when the economy recovers.

Yahoo, a dull diamond waiting to shine.

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Company with great brand name. A lot of work done more than 5 years ago, so a lot of opportunities to prove yourself. While other places may be more "chic", Yahoo is a diamond that has dulled, but still a diamond. I believe that this is the best time to come to Yahoo because it has great potential to be a contender for first place against Google.

Cons

A lot of "leftovers" people from 2 layoff cycles. A lot of good people has probably already left. Some people are tired and are actively looking for other positions. A lot of non-native English speakers (like a 3 to 1 ratio) that have accents that take some getting used to - but once you get used to the accent, there is no problem. Many cutbacks that hurt morale.

Use more open source without creating an internal version. Improve technical tool availability. Revamp desktops and laptops so to match competing companies.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!