There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Lots of resources, little focus. The People Magazine of Online Media

Former Employee - Senior Director in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Senior Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Yahoo makes a lot of money in Internet media. Great brand, global presence

Cons

The company has no focus and is not a product, technology driven company. Brand experts say the biggest problem with Yahoo is that you can't describe it in 5 or 10 words, let alone any single one word or concept, (like Search, Social Network, Online Auctions, etc..) Therefore the Brand and the expectations related to it, are all over the place. No compelling vision, all things to everyone therefore nothing great to anyone. Behavioral Targeting and data-driven personalization technologies were the most interesting area at Yahoo. The rest of the media properties are average at best.

Find a focus, ANY focus and a story to tell investors.

reviews filtered by
  1. Used to be where greatness goes to die; but maybe Marissa Mayer can change that.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Yahoo properties are visited by hundreds of millions of people every day. Compensation is good. Freebies abound.

Cons

Yahoo lost almost all of its A players, thanks to managerial incompetence and territorialism. This eventually infected every part of the company. Winning ideas did not just fail to thrive, they were actively hunted down and killed. Marissa Mayer may be changing all that - finally.

I have no advice other than what Marissa Mayer is doing already. Yahoo needed someone to make tough choices, update the culture and technology, and focus on products again, and that's what she's doing.

Great company to work for

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, excellent software. One of the better companies I have worked for. Good benefits, option to WFH and decent pay. I am very happy.

Cons

Not many cons. Morale has had it's ups and downs with every new CEO but I think Marisa knows what she is doing and every one seems to have gotten a morale boost with her on board.

Keep up the good work!