There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo

Tons of growth opportunity available

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Focus on delivering delightful products
- There's been a boost in employee morale

Cons

- Lack of execution over the years
- Lack of flexibility
- Lack of leadership (mid-level management)

Continue to focus on performance and execution.

1805 Other Employee Reviews for Yahoo (View Most Recent)

I'm leaving soon for better pay.

Current Employee - Senior Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Service Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Yahoo full-time

Pros

Work: Learn a lot. Get to work with smart people. Solve complex problems at scale.
    Perks: Free food, free iphone, free coffee bar, free vending machines, 16GB Retina with 512 GB SSD.

Cons

Even if you've contributed a tremendous amount, if you're not in the top 20% you get almost no salary increase. This has happened two years in a row.

They also took away the 24 month ESPP plan and replaced it with a new 3 month one. That perk alone was worth $15k a year for me at the current stock price.

Also no RSUs after you join. Unless you're special.

Focus on retention and offer RSUs yearly.

Don't do contract work for Yahoo.

Former Employee - Service Reliability Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Service Reliability Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Yahoo as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Yahoo treats regular employees well, they are trying to implement new management techniques like "Tribal Leadership" and "KanBan." The free food is a nice perk - but really helps the company since there are no nearby restaurants. To a contractor, It felt like regular employees were satisfied overall with their jobs.

Cons

My immediate managers were terrible. Hands off is OK, but they gave no feedback or misleading information. In retrospect, I felt I was being set-up to fail. For contractors, tribal leadership means you get voted off the island before you even have a chance to see where the island is.

Check on how your middle managers handle contractors. If a middle manager recommends terminating contracts after five weeks in the middle of training, something is seriously broken somewhere. Either your hiring process is broken, or your expectations are unrealistic. Try to figure out what's broken first. My impression is Ready, Fire, Aim is what is going on.

I came into with Yahoo with a positive attitude, ready and able to make a contribution. I feel betrayed and disillusioned. Getting let go the same day two new people are brought in, is just wrong. Perhaps terror tactics work at first for dictatorships, but usually end badly for the dictators and the countries they lead.

There are newer employer reviews for Yahoo